Author Topic: suburban fuel tank in a pick up  (Read 3792 times)

Offline Reinovator

suburban fuel tank in a pick up
« on: October 30, 2009, 11:47:20 PM »
Howdy Again
  Getting on with my (77 GMC 2x4) panel truck and I've decided to go with EFI. i pulled all the wires and the fuel lines from a 87 4X4 suburban and the tank, Now I need some guidance in mounting the 40Gal tank and dis guard the saddle tanks, the two problems I've run in to are The brake lines and the cross rear member.
It looks like the rear cross member will have to be moved back approximately 4 inches  to clear the differential has anyone done this and what troubles have you ran into?
 I tried installing the tank and had to cut out the rivets holding the brake line bracket this I can relocate. but the tank is another  beast altogether the engine I'm planing on running  won't be more than 400 hp  most likely 350hp  but by moving the rear cross member will this create to much torque on the frame.
 I was going to belly pan the rear of the body should I brace the rear brace. and  now where in the world do I put the trailer hitch? it was going behind the license plate!  >:(

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline Reinovator

Re: suburban fuel tank in a pick up
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2009, 07:13:58 PM »
Thanks Capt' I was going to do this ,I was going to bolt on a temp support but your idea maybe faster and stronger.  but as I stated before I still second guess my self some times,
Better safe then chasing wrenches.
 Was this a long bed set up? Mine is.

One other thing, may you can answer this, frame length. where are the differences in the (87) 1/2 ton 4x4 suburban and
(77)1/2 2x4 long bed pu. visually, in a quick look there's not much, but I've look them up wheel base wise the sub is approximately two inches shorter. The only thing I can see is rear spring location. Are the frames rails the same except for front spring mounting, and of course fuel line cross members etc? or is it also rear spring length?

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2009, 08:10:27 PM »
Mine is on a shortbed, longbeds have more room.
73-87 suburbans are 2" shorter in wheelbase than a Longbed truck and the frame rails are completely different.  The frame is the same from the under the front seat forward.

Offline Reinovator

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2009, 10:19:27 AM »
Thank you Capt.
 The wheel base I under stood. My real concern was how to move the rear end.
 A friend suggested I re-drill the axle perch and notch the upper spring plate for the spring bolt, to move the axle forward.  This seems a little unsafe, to me. My thinking is to order springs with the bolt hole forward this should also soften the ride.
I may still go this route for set up so I can get exact on my measurements,
 As I'm installing the tank I'll post some Pic's to add to the Library.

Hay, thanks again.

Offline Reinovator

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2009, 05:43:30 PM »
    Ok, like almost every thing I do i over think it This took me 45 minutes.

I used a grinder with a cut off blade to start the rivet removal.

after I air hammered off the rivets as per instructions (thank you Capt'n) I inverted the brace and drilled the bolt holes on top then installed the top and used a long drill bit and drilled the bottom holes and mounted the bottom holes

Done

I'll mount the tank tomorrow,
and pull the left tank. 

Thanks again.
Reinovator