Author Topic: Your chance to be on TV with your car! - The REAL DEAL!  (Read 4928 times)

Offline Mike Phillips

Your chance to be on TV with your car! - The REAL DEAL!
« on: January 08, 2011, 02:16:43 PM »
Your chance to be on TV with your car! - The REAL DEAL!

Hi everyone, new guy Mike Phillips here with an opportunity for you to get your car on TV...

My company has a brand new TV show that I'm the host of called,

What's in the Garage?

This show will be on the Fox Sports Networks starting in the 2nd quarter of this year, 2011

We start filming in two weeks.  I'll be in Bristol, Tennessee filming a how-to segment with Sam Memmolo and Dave Bowman on their TV show, Motorhead Garage.

Working with Sam and Dave on the set of MotorHead Garage

After that I'm leaving for Nashville, Tennessee and Shelbyville, to shoot 3-4 segments for my show.

RIGHT NOW!
I'm looking for more cool cars and car stories to shoot for the show.  Here's the criteria...

• Must be a cool car, something interesting and special interest.
  • Must have a cool and interesting "Car Guy Story" to go with the car.
Look, I love the 1965 Mustang, but a lot of guys have these in their garage and while they're cool and all, if there's not a "Cool Story" to go with the car it's just another 1965 Mustang, or 1957 Chevrolet, or fill-in-the-blank.

So I need both things, a cool car and a cool car story to go with it.

If you think you have a car, truck, thingamajiggy, or whatever, it runs and drives and you have a cool car guy story to go with it, then contact me with a picture of the vehicle and a paragraph or two on the "story".

A little bit about me...
I've been posting to the Internet since 1994 under my real name, Mike Phillips, back on Usenet Newgroups.  When vBulletin was released I move on to discussion forums like the H.A.M.B. forum, which is run by vBulletin.

I brought up and ran www.MeguiarsOnline.com starting in 2002 and ran their forum and taught all their detailing classes, including how to wetsand, cut and buff fresh paint until 2009 when I left to join the team at Autogeek.net

One of the reasons I left was because Max the owner offered me the opportunity to make how-to videos and possibly have a TV show on detailing cars.  It's worked out pretty good but instead of a TV show on detailing cars we have a TV show on sharing and showcasing cool cars with the rest of the world.

Here's the point...

In all my years of posting to discussion forums this is the first time I've seen a TV show come to the forums and give the members of discussion forums a chance to be on TV with their car.  NO GIMMICKS, just an honest opportunity.

There are no specific criteria for what kind of car we'll show, we're open to ANYTHING as long as its,

• Cool and Unique
  • Has a great story behind it
Because I don't want to look like I'm trying to promote the company I work for, instead of including my work e-mail, I'm going to include my personal e-mail, which is also a site I've owned since 2000 but at this time, don't really use.  It was my dream to use the name for a TV show on car detailing, mostly on polishing paint as that's my area of expertise, but to date it hasn't happened, so it sits dormant.

Here's my e-mail

Mike@ShowCarGarage.com

If you watch Two Guys Garage with Bryan Fuller and Kevin Byrd, I've been a guest on their show for 12 segments on car detailing, fun gig and two super nice guys.  I have 3 segments coming up on My Classic Car with Dennis Gage in a few months, I got to remove the swirls out of a 1964 GTO Convertible using the Flex 3401 and the Porter Cable 7424XP and for another segment I was able to work on a 1955 Chevy Truck using a Flex 3401

This picture was taken inside Dennis Gage's Studio

1955 Chevrolet Truck

This is parked next to the studio after we filmed the segment,

1964 GTO Convertible

This is a REAL opportunity to share your car and be on TV!  So if you think you have a car and a great car story, or if you KNOW SOMEONE that has a cool car and a great car story, send them the link to this thread here on H.A.M.B.

I'm currently looking really hard for 2-3 cars in the Inverness, Florida area because I have one car there already that we want to use but before we pack-up and fly in a film crew we'd like to try to find a few more vehicles.

Here's the car that's been offered to us in Inverness, Florida...

The Richard Williams Sports Special

Note there's a difference between the word "Batmobile" and "Batman Car".  This car has a DMV Title that says BATMANCAR and it was built before George Barris built his version of the Batmobile.

The other cool thing about this car is it was custom built, there's only one and it was lost for years and has now been re-discovered and put back on the road for the enjoyment of all car enthusiasts and especially fans of the iconic Batman series.

My friend Nate Trueman, founder of StarCarCentral.com connected me with the current owner of Richard Williams Sports Special aka the Batman Car.

The owner is compiling the history of this car and sending me some of the background information which will be added to this thread.

Here's some pictures...

1964 Batman Car
YouTube - Batmobile Lost 1964 -1966 - found and restored. Bob, and his daughter Alyse (playing Robin)

History behind the building of the 1964 Batman Car

Realizing Your Dream – The Richard Williams Sports Special

Excerpt from the above

Epilogue:

When I asked him what happened to the car, he shared with me the following:

“I sold the car on the floor of that show in 1959 for $2600 and never saw the car again.  The guy who bought it was one of my former school roommates – Norbert Borth – who actually had helped in small ways build the car.  

The newspaper article showing my car in the show actually shows the owner and builder as “Norbert Borth” – but that’s because he had bought it at that time.  I sold the car because I did what I had intended – I built my dream.  And the money helped move my family back home to California”.

In the 1960’s, Richard went looking for the car and found that Norbert had moved and brought the car to Memphis Tennessee.  

He had put a Chevrolet motor in it, but left it in an auto repair shop for repair and never picked it up.  [COLOR="Red"]Unfortunately, the car was never seen again.[/COLOR]  

So for those out there who are looking for cars….the Richard Williams Special was last seen in the early 1960’s in Memphis, Tennessee.  

Go get ‘em gang!  But be sure and let us know what you find.

My comments...

The current car owner purchased this car in Tennessee and the car has a Tennessee Title and the car is titled as

BATMANCAR

I hope to get some cars offered... what do you guys think?  Any takers?

:)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 02:30:27 PM by Mike Phillips »

Offline Jim Rockford

• Banned
  • Frequent Member
Re: Your chance to be on TV with your car! - The REAL DEAL!
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, 03:58:06 PM »
Well running and driving rules me out....
1973 k20 Camper special
1980 k20 custom deluxe
2004 Crown Vic LX sport

Offline Lt.Del

• Andy aka:SgtDel
  • DelbridgePhotography.com
    • www.delbridge.net
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 04:18:37 PM »
Look, I love the 1965 Mustang, but a lot of guys have these in their garage and while they're cool and all, if there's not a "Cool Story" to go with the car it's just another 1965 Mustang, or 1957 Chevrolet, or fill-in-the-blank.

Man, that leaves me out then w/ my two 65's  >:(

Offline choptop

• Extended cab fanatic
    • conversiontrucks
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011, 08:39:36 PM »
Which one do you want the keys too? No 4 should be on the road in the next month or so?
76 C10 Choptop,76 C10 Swb
85 C10, 85 K10, 85 K20,86 C10,86 K10 (all extended cabs)
86 C30 extended crewcab

Offline chevyh20

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 01:05:39 AM »
vile posted a utube video of a guy who has a private car collection museum in fl. which includes the batmobile, check it out

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 03:37:52 PM »
Mike that sounds AWESOME!  Thanks for dropping by and offering!  Seen all you spots on 2 guys..

Offline Jim Rockford

• Banned
  • Frequent Member
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2011, 04:06:55 PM »
Del If you need any work on your mustangs Just let me know.
1973 k20 Camper special
1980 k20 custom deluxe
2004 Crown Vic LX sport

Offline Lt.Del

• Andy aka:SgtDel
  • DelbridgePhotography.com
    • www.delbridge.net
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 01:02:09 AM »
sure will Jim, thanks.  Gonna be restorin' my 65 GT vertible real soon--new upholstery, rebuild the A code 289, new top, strip the paint, etc.....

Offline beastie_3

• Josh
    • My truck pics
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2011, 01:44:07 AM »

Working with Sam and Dave on the set of MotorHead Garage

I remember watching them on Shadetree Mechanic on TNN...

Those were the good shows where the taught you maintenance, diagnostics, and repairs.