Author Topic: You're parking wrong  (Read 8317 times)

Offline 78 Chevyrado

• Z62 ON-ROAD
    • My Photobucket Site
You're parking wrong
« on: February 10, 2011, 11:42:43 PM »
odd...  I pull in headfirst if I can.  I always pull the focus in front first but almost never park the truck that way (because it physically cannot pull in forwards in most spots, or if I can, i can't get out when someone parks next to me while in the store)

What do you do?
http://www.slate.com/id/2284358?nav=wp
Kenny

1978 C-20, 350/400, 3.73, Graystone Metallic, Raceline Renegade 8 Wheels - 18x8.5, 275/70R18 BFG KO's

Offline ssapach

• Registered Users
Re: You're parking wrong
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 12:34:27 AM »
Most workplaces for me have mandatory back in parking.  You get used to it, and I find myself doing it more often when driving my own vehicles now.

Drive through parking is still my favorite, or parking at the far end of a lot because nobody else is there.......but sure enough once your vehicle is there someone else parks beside you.  And it's always on the driver's side......and even though there are 200 other spots closer to the store, they still park inches from my vehicle.....

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 12:36:09 AM »
     If you have ever been backing out of a parking space in a crowded mall or something and gotten hit, I bet when ever possible you back in and drive out.  You are already in the lane and can see when you back in, and pulling out is much easier to see than backing out into a blind road.  Some places in California have signs stating to back into parking spaces, I don't think it is a law here but it does make sense.
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 12:38:12 AM »

or parking at the far end of a lot because nobody else is there.......but sure enough once your vehicle is there someone else parks beside you.  And it's always on the driver's side......and even though there are 200 other spots closer to the store, they still park inches from my vehicle.....

Man I hate that, there are at least 50 open parking spots closer to the store than where you parked and someone always parks right next to me.
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline Da67goatman

• Site Supporters
  • Burban
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 07:47:22 AM »
I've always backed in, that's how I was taught, and having a suburban as a first vehicle is no easy feet.
<Pitcrew>
1989 R2500 Suburban mild 350 TBI 700r4 10.5" 14bolt 4.10 w/ 33s
1992 fullsize Blazer 4x4  35s no lift, 4.10s, Hella driving lights, TJ Flares, Huge bumpers, Snorkel, custom interior

Offline jackjeckel757

• Registered Users
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 08:10:44 AM »
Most apartment complexes want you to park head in so exhaust fumes won't enter the building, I had to fight for it at one I had lived at. I was told that it wouldn't happen so I had the complex manager stand next to the window while a car was warming up and sure enough you could smell it thru a closed window.  As far as parking in other lots it should be up to you and your vehicle selection as to how you should park.  I know my old '85 Ramcharger with 33's on it was a beast to park and backing in was not an option!!

Offline Lt.Del

• Andy aka:SgtDel
  • DelbridgePhotography.com
    • www.delbridge.net
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2011, 08:14:36 AM »
it is so much easier to back in.  That way you know if someone is around you driving.  If you pull in and try to back out, you have no idea if someone is around you driving and....BAM!  People think parking lots are roads and drive 30 mph in parking lots. You'll never see them if you back out of your parking spot and they dont see you because they are texting and talking on the phone. If there is a collision, guess who's fault it will be---not the driver not paying attention--it will be you, because you shouldn't have backed out at that second into oncoming traffic.

it drives my wife crazy no matter where i go or what i drive, I back in parking spots. It is so much easier to back in--when you consider the converse of that is backing up blindly when leaving. You know whose around when backing into spots. And, I use my mirrors to back in---just line up the white lines thru your side view mirrors---it really is a cinch.  I am quite entertained when i see someone driving a large truck, and even if it requires them to pull forward, back up, pull forward, back up pull forward, just to pull into a parking spot nose first.  Just back in the dang thing---if you line up your vehicle with the correct angle (roughly a 45 degree angle or less--practice makes perfect) just back right in. People try to start w/ a 90 degree angle---wont work that way.

Another entertaining thing is when the few i see back in, they turn their heads around like an owl trying to back in...dude-use your frekin mirrors!  I teach my deputies that all the time--use your mirrors and always back in just in case you have to leave in a hurry. They are puzzled how i back in all the time and never turn my head around.  ;D

« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 08:28:40 AM by SgtDel »

Offline Grim 82

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 08:34:15 AM »
There has been too many times where somebody has needed the jumper cables hooked up but they park with the front up against a building or barricade and there is a car on each side, and you have to push or pull their vehicle out into the middle of the aisle to jump it. When just making stops around town or parking at work I like to back into spots or drive through to a far spot, but if I am shopping it never fails if I pull into the far spot somebody will park behind me right up against the bumper so you can't drop the tailgate or open the trunk, depending on what vehicle we took that day. >:(
Give a man a gun, and he might rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he might rob the world.

Offline jackjeckel757

• Registered Users
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2011, 08:54:55 AM »
I don't understand the issue with being able to back up safely, don't just put it in gear and hit the gas, turn your head and use your mirrors thats what they are there for.  I have backed up many vehicles in different situations and never had an issue, I just prefer to pull in because I think its easier and reversing out is not a problem for me.

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2011, 09:55:08 AM »
I don't understand the issue with being able to back up safely, don't just put it in gear and hit the gas, turn your head and use your mirrors thats what they are there for.  I have backed up many vehicles in different situations and never had an issue, I just prefer to pull in because I think its easier and reversing out is not a problem for me.

It is a good thing you don't live in California, sgtdel said 30 in a parking lot, In California the parking spots are smaller and everyone likes to drive suv's, well you just can not see.  After awhile, I guarente that you would change your mind.  It just depends on the parking lot and the space.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline Lt.Del

• www.delbridge.net
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2011, 10:40:25 AM »
the bigger your vehicle, the more of a need to back in.  I drive a 3/4 ton 4x4 suburban and NEVER pull in.   It is so much easier to back in.  Again, if i was to pull in nose first, when backing out of a spot i cannot see anything coming or going behind me.  I am at their mercy to see ME slowly backing out---i dont trust them.  There are those who are searching for free money out there and when they see an opportunity, they'll hit you on purpose and grab their neck.

When you see an open spot, say, on your right side, drive as close as you can to that empty spot---inches from it as you drive along side it then turn sharply to the left to get your front end as far away from that side as possible, but your back end will be very close to the empty spot.  You are then on such a lesser angle when you put it in reverse, turn wheel to the right slightly, and just slowly back her in there.  Use your side mirrors and don't turn your head around like a crazy owl. It really is so much easier to back in.  Practice it 5 or 6 times, you'll never go back to pulling in.  if you pull in nose first you will have to spin your head around several times to ensure no one is coming from either direction to back out--as if you could see them anyway.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 11:02:15 AM by SgtDel »

Offline jackjeckel757

• Registered Users
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2011, 01:04:15 PM »
I see your point, and yes you could get hit while in reverse by someone doing 30 not paying attention but I have almost been hit by people pulling forward out of spots not paying attention also, in a car and while walking!! So it comes down to a matter of preference not what you are convinced is safe.  Did you know that in most states you are legally supposed to back into your driveway and it is illegal to back out of your driveway?  But it all leads to my main point IF YOU CAN"T DRIVE IT PARK IT!!!!!

Offline Lt.Del

• www.delbridge.net
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2011, 01:23:49 PM »
but I have almost been hit by people pulling forward out of spots not paying attention also, in a car and while walking!! So it comes down to a matter of preference not what you are convinced is safe.

But, whomever pulls out or backs out into traffic and a collision occurs, it is their fault--no matter if it's nose first, or rear first.

I hate it when someone backs out of their driveway and blocks traffic while it takes them 2 minutes to put it in drive. Get a frekin lot big enough to have a turnaround.  I have two lots, one for my house and one for all my 4-wheeled toys and camper  ;D

I agree, park it if you can't drive it.  
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 01:31:32 PM by SgtDel »

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2011, 02:14:49 PM »
I have always backed in since before I had my license. It is so much easier than trying to turn in forward from a 90 degree. And 100% easier than backing out. Allot of times in the winter I will have shovels, a snow scoop etc. in the back of my truck. i will par backed in to a snow bank at the edge of a parking lot. I might be way off base but I feel that they would be less likely to be snatched than if the rear of the truck was facing the lane of traffic. People ride with my sometimes plowing, they are dazzled when I back up a 1/2 mile long winding narrow driveway using my mirrors faster than I plow down it forwards! One of my driveways if there is more than 4" of snow on it I can't make it up forward. I will back all the way up it unplowed. That can get sketchy as when everything in the mirror is freshly coated with white you can lose track of the snow banks from previous plowing!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 02:24:45 PM by Blazin »
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

Offline slammed79

• Thou shalt not drive stock
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2011, 02:54:25 PM »
When I worked for Chevron in Northeren California they wanted all the managers and assistant managers to back into parking spots, said it was safer that way. Even the district managers did it when they toured the stores.

I started backing into spots cause it looked cooler, then I found that it was so much easier when leaving said spot, especially in highschool where none of us had any real wheel time.
74 C10 Long bed 350/SM465 Lowered on 20's

Praise the lowered