73-87 Chevy _ GMC Trucks > Engine/Drivetrain

Manual transmission - swap out sm465 for ____?

(1/4) > >>

STxMunky:
I've seen a few of the posts here, but I am pretty new.
I'm looking to swap out my tranny some time in the future. I'd really like a 5 or 6 speed for highway usage, but don't want to lose much (any) the low gearing and overall durability I have currently with the 465. The truck is a DD/tow rig but I do a good amount of light/moderate wheeling with it. Nothing too intense..... yet. :D I'm building it in the future to handle some heavier off-roading - rock crawling, deep mud-running, etc.

My question is....

1) Does anyone have info/experience/references/pics on installing a NV5600 or the ZF S6-650 into their ride? I know the NV4500 is pretty dang easy but would really like to see if anyone has had success with a 6 speed. Any clearance issues with frame, exhaust, body? Any compatibility issues with the engine/transfer case?

2) How much did the overall build cost?

3) Any major differences between the NV5600 and ZF S6-650? How do they differ in toughness and reliability for towing/wheeling applications, longevity, cost, etc?

Again, I know a NV4500 install would be easier, simpler, and probably cheaper. If I have to, I'll resort to that. But I want to know for sure that I wouldn't be happier with a 6 speed.

Engineer:
Can you even find a ZF6?

I have a ZF-6 in 4x4, and know where I can buy a 2WD, but the NV4500 is WAY more plentiful.

If you can find a ZF I'd go that way, but they are über rare.

Another thought, the NV4500 will drop right into your bell. However the ZF will need a hydraulic clutch like the 85+ used. There is no way to make a mechanical linkage work with a ZF since the bell is integral to the tranny case. The ZF uses an orbital hydraulic throwout bearing so don't even dream of making a fork type throw out work.

One other thought: The ZF 4x4 does not use a separate TC adapter like our square body trucks use. The transfer case bolts directly to the rear of the ZF's rear housing. Because if this the 2wd ZF uses an entirely different rear case half than does a 4x4 ZF.

STxMunky:
I think I could find one. I'm looking now, but don't need one yet. I could start hunting different scrap yards and Craigslist, eBay, etc to see if I can find a deal on one. So I have some time.

Why would you recommend the ZF over the NV5600? Just curious. Thanks for responding!

STxMunky:
Also, how exactly does it mount to an np205? A divorced t-case would go right with a 2wd tranny, but how would I hook up a 4x4 tranny? What does the output shaft look like/is there an adapter for ZF-to-np205? Also, how does the tranny mount to the motor (sbc)?

Engineer:
I like the ZF for the extra up shift gear.

However, if you are just going for the OD, the NV4500 just makes more sense. There are tons of reasons to use the NV4500 that all make it easier to swap. The only advantage the ZF would have is if your engine has a narrow powerband and you tow a lot. The extra step makes up shifting with a load easier.

If you are going with the ZF using a 1980+ NP205 with the round mounting flange should bolt directly to the back of a 4x4 ZF. Input/output shaft compatibility is a mystery to me so you would have to research that yourself. You may be able to get a custom Atlas transfer case that will bolt directly to the ZF, but an Atlas is about $3,500 IIRC.

Try calling Advance Adapters. They should be able to answer your questions more accurately than I.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version