Author Topic: Bed support beam  (Read 1917 times)

Offline TheBigHat

Bed support beam
« on: March 09, 2021, 06:51:07 PM »
Hey squarebody brothers, I was under the K20 today changing my spring hangers and saw my bed support that runs between the frame rails that the bed cross member is supposed to rest on is completely rotted out. I already figure I'm calling the parts by the wrong name but that is what I need help with. What it's called and where to get a new one. It's the part that runs from the top of one spring hanger to the other and the bed is supposed to sit on. There is also supposed to be an exhaust hanger on it but mine is just kinda floating now :(.

Offline Mike81K10

• Site Supporters
Re: Bed support beam
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2021, 09:00:08 PM »
Can you post some pics?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2021, 08:15:34 PM by Mike81K10 »
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin

Offline DanMcG

• Registered Users
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2021, 03:26:51 AM »
Sounds like you're talking about the rear crossmember. maybe?  The bed only rests on the frame rails so not really sure what you talking about. if it is the crossmember then you'll probably need to find one in a junk yard, I'm almost positive they are not reproduced
A pic would be awesome.

Offline TheBigHat

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2021, 01:18:47 PM »
I believe yes, it is the rear crossmember. Sorry, I haven't figured out how to post pics on here yet. If it helps the exhaust hanger USED to be mounted to it. Now I have a REALLY irritating rattle. Really want to get this fixed asap. I can handle her looking rough but if she sounds bad it really drives me nuts!

Offline Mike81K10

• Site Supporters
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2021, 08:19:26 PM »
If it is really bad I would get one from a salvage yard. Believe you will have to ground off/drill out the rivets (two on each side on the top and bottom if it is the large back one) and then install a new one with strong bolts. Easy job (if the bed is removed) and you can get the hangers and other parts from a salvage yard as well. I attached a picture so you can point out which one you are referring to.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2021, 08:31:15 PM by Mike81K10 »
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin

Offline MY1978

• Registered Users
  • Just a girl and her truck since 1978
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2021, 08:58:27 AM »
I believe yes, it is the rear crossmember. Sorry, I haven't figured out how to post pics on here yet. If it helps the exhaust hanger USED to be mounted to it. Now I have a REALLY irritating rattle. Really want to get this fixed asap. I can handle her looking rough but if she sounds bad it really drives me nuts!

Are you talking about the small bed floor supports like in picture #1 or the other support in picture #2?

Offline TheBigHat

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2021, 12:58:32 PM »
Sorry, haven't been on this for a while but it is the support that went between the frame rails above the rear axle. The one on the top picture has one but it looks flipped over compared to mine. That is the location though. Then in the photo below it, it looks like you circumvented it with a plate of steel across there? Good idea. I may do that. does that push up on the bottom of the bed though?