73-87 Chevy _ GMC Trucks > Brakes, Frame, Steering & Suspension

Lares vs cardone steering box Saginaw vs [emoji47]

(1/3) > >>

1979K10:
1979 k10 My 20 year old cardone steering box is getting sloppy. I adjusted the adjustment screw on top but that really just changed the “feel” and it still felt sloppy. I’ve checked center link and drag link, all solid but I’ll probably replace while in there. Rubber steering coupler is oily but seems ok. I ordered a new one since the replacement steering box has a different shaft and splines.

See pics for the differences in the reman lares steering gear vs cardone.
Apparently GM had other manufactures than Saginaw.

What steering box is better? Does it matter?

I’m a bit concerned about the rubber seal where the steering shaft connects on the replacement box. I can easily remove seal by hand where the Saginaw box had a different design.

JohnnyPopper:
If you can remove it, it pry isn't a seal but more of a dust boot. Look under it, if you see what looks like a seal, it pry is.

Run it, you have driving to do... 8)

1979K10:

--- Quote from: JohnnyPopper on June 08, 2021, 08:18:51 PM ---If you can remove it, it pry isn't a seal but more of a dust boot. Look under it, if you see what looks like a seal, it pry is.

Run it, you have driving to do... 8)

--- End quote ---
Yeah it’s definitely a dust seal pulling it up reveals a bearing and grease. Waiting on the center link and drag link parts for full steering rebuild.

1979K10:
Replaced steering box, coupler, center link, and drag link. When just replacing steering box I noticed there is a little less play vs the old cardone reman. Still some dead zone in the center but apparently that’s how these were new.

Old Center link was tight but boots tore so replaced that with new moog ends. Drag link had a small amount of play on the end that’s part of the long rod. I’d also hit a huge rock off-road and put a slight bend in the old one. I measured old drag link and adjusted the new to the same. Will have to do a driveway toe check. Steering is now stiff with all the new joints. I tightened everything very tight, what’s the torque spec on center link and drag link? I assume the stiffness will go away after some driving.

JohnnyPopper:
Looks great!

Did you adjust the internal gear lash?

From what I remember, you need to have the wheels off the ground, then find center in the travel of the gearbox.

There's supposed to be a high point at the center of travel on one of the gear.

You should be able to feel slight drag at that point as you move the wheel left and right.

If you don't feel it, it needs adjustment.

You loosen the locking nut and use the Allen wrench to tighten to the high spot, then back off a tidge.

Holding the Allen in position, lock down the nut.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version