73-87 Chevy _ GMC Trucks > The Lows (Lowering/Drops)

Advice on Lowering 1979 C10

(1/2) > >>

Hubcap706:
Hey guys,

I am new to the site and am attempting my first post on this forum. I can say that this forum has provided much needed information in the planning phase of my build.

I have recently acquired my grandfathers 1979 C10 LWB, and intend to start building it very soon. I have put in the hours of doing homework and researching different components and kits for what I want to modify or replace. I'll start with the basics:

1. I do not intend to haul anything or do any amount of towing with this vehicle.
2. I do not have a "set budget" as I intend on this taking as much time as it needs to and that I am only dedicating a certain amount monthly to the truck.
3. This truck will not be a daily driver. Its purpose will be weekend rides and just having fun, so I do want a decent ride and a decent handling vehicle

I could use some honest opinions here on the technical side from those that have more experience with the squarebody, in particular, lowering them.

I started out looking at the Ridetech StreetGrip Suspension, but have realized that I can get more bang for my buck with a less expensive system. I do not want more than a

As of now this is my plan:

-Built By Brooks Longbed to Shortbed Conversion Kit (I like the K10 LWB, but want a shortbed for this C10. Please save the "just buy a shortbed instead" comment for another post, I've done the calculations on the frame)
-CPP Upper and Lower Tubular Control Arms - ball joints already installed to these.
-CPP 2" Drop Spindles
-Performance Online Drop Springs (most likely 2")
-Belltech Shocks Front and Rear
-CPP Front Sway Bar
- CPP Rear Flip Kit
- CPP C-Notch Kit
- Idler and Pitman Arms
-Upper and Lower Tie Rod Ends

I would greatly appreciate any advice on this alternative set up, or any issues that may arise going this route.

Thanks!

zieg85:
While I am not a fan of lowering you seem to have done some good research.  If you search VileZambonie build on his 74, there is a section in it where he cut his frame down to a shortbed.  It is a long thread but his work and knowledge is amazing

Hubcap706:
I will definitely check out his thread for some more information. The short bed conversion seems to be a very polarizing modification, and I wanted to ensure that those that have done it haven't ran into something crazy.

Thanks for the reference!

LILT77:
If you're not planning to ever haul stuff in the bed or tow, you could probably get away without notching the frame. I'm lower in the rear and only ever bottom out if there's a very serious pothole and I'm going fast. I can't speak on the quality or fitment of the CPP stuff as I use Belltech Western Chassis and McGaughy's, but it seems like you have a solid plan and setup.

Hubcap706:
I have seen where a few guys on here have gotten away without the C notch, and I was contemplating leaving it out myself. I originally thought better safe than sorry though.

I’m open to really any brand on the springs, shocks, and rear flip kit and would love to know what’s worked well for those with similar set ups.  I have A friend that recently installed the CPP control arms and loves them, so I’ll give them a try.

LILT77, what setup are you running? And thanks for the advice!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version