73-87 Chevy _ GMC Trucks > Engine/Drivetrain

Engine rebuild vs new/used

(1/6) > >>

krigermoose:
Hey everyone, I made the very dumb mistake of not checking my oil. As a result, the truck burned almost all of it and it threw a rod. So here I am, a college student with an extremely tight budget and a broken truck asking what my best option is.

Before it threw the rod, the piston was loosened and hitting the head. Then, the next day when I tried to start it to drive onto a trailer, it came off completely and seized. Because of all of that, I don't know if it's even worth trying to reuse the block or even the heads. I could send it into a machine shop, but if a used engine is cheaper I'd rather just go that route. I'm on Facebook and Craigslist every day looking for good options, so far haven't found something I'm 100% happy with. What any advice on what route to go? How often do people just run it without any machine work? This engine is a crate 350 with very low miles, but it is also old. It was put in the truck at least 20 years ago and then it was driven very little.

JohnnyPopper:
Finish disassembly evaluate the damage/wear.

Get estimates on repairs and compare costs.

krigermoose:
Right on.

JohnnyPopper:
We'd like to hear what happens next too 8)

VileZambonie:
If you're on an extremely tight budget, throw a used engine in until you are not.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version