73-87 Chevy _ GMC Trucks > Performance

Camshaft selection for 350 build

(1/3) > >>

krigermoose:
Hey all, I'm currently building a 350 for my truck and the most challenging factor for me has been selecting the cam. I will post my specs here and if anyone has a good recommendation I would appreciate it.

Here are my current specs:

1986 GMC C1500 - 3.08 gearing, TH350

010 block, 4 bolt mains, out of a low mileage 74 c20. Ready to be refreshed and built up.

Upcoming machine work (Haven't started it yet): .025 decking, hot tank, hone, wrist pin installation. Maybe take care of the crank and rods a bit as well, not sure on that yet.

Upcoming pistons: Speed-Pro forged pistons 1.563 comp. height, flat top 4 valve reliefs. I went with forged over hyper because it's about $100 extra, worth it to me. Moly rings

Heads: Dart Iron Eagle S/S Iron heads, 165cc intake/65cc exhaust, 210 cfm intake/138 cfm exhaust, 2.020" intake valve/1.600" exhaust valve

Compression: Based on Summit's calculator, around 9.8:1

Using original crank and rods.

Running a Quadrajet, may upgrade to Holley Sniper farther down the line.

I have power brakes and plan on getting A/C working. (I don't know if A/C matters or not, just heard something about it before.)

So I am looking for a flat tappet cam, along with the correct springs and will order a timing gear and chain with it. Nothing crazy, will upgrade torque converter if I should. I am looking for similar performance to a COMP XE262H but I've had some good and bad opinions on it so if anyone has good experience with it let me know.

I just want good low to mid power, something that can cruise on the street but also pushing a bit of extra power.

bd:
For flat tappet cams...

Camshaft/ intake/ HEI upgrade questions!

VileZambonie:
Curious what you are going for on this build.

krigermoose:
I'm just looking for a bit of a bump in power, low to mid end. Something I can have a little fun with. I'm also a sucker for a bit of an idle lope. Just wanna wake up the truck a bit.

JohnnyPopper:
Have you thought of making it a 383 stroker?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version