73-87 Chevy _ GMC Trucks > Fuel Systems and Drivability

Is this carb OK?

<< < (2/10) > >>

Chevygold:
The Brawler I have on my 'vette runs sweet, it's a 670 vacuum secondaries and electric choke, seperate idle adjustment in each choke, again I don't know the build of the 350 motor but suspect it has been breathed on a bit before it came to me, car was originally a 350/350 and still has the original heads on a truck block to get the 4 bolt mains, performer inlet, beyond that I'm only guessing.
Graham

Shifty:
The Brawler would indeed be a decent choice, but because of the weight of the truck, the secondaries would want to open very early, hence the heavier spring mod, delay it a bit.

Chevygold:

--- Quote from: Shifty on July 12, 2022, 09:05:22 AM ---The Brawler would indeed be a decent choice, but because of the weight of the truck, the secondaries would want to open very early, hence the heavier spring mod, delay it a bit.

--- End quote ---
Thanks Shifty if things improve on the currency front I'll get one on order.
Graham

Chevygold:
Latest update, I managed to find a Street Avenger 670cfm over here at a good price, did a rebuild with all new gaskets etc. and fitted it on the truck yesterday, all standard jets, idle screws 1 1/2 turns out, floats set to middle of the float bowl and she started up first turn of the key, good idle on the auto choke and after warm up.
Didn't have time to put the vacuum gauge on it so that's the next step, a quick snap of throttle results in clean accelleration in neutral but if I open the throttle slowly I get a stumble at about 1/2 throttle  which feels like weakness, will need to get my gas tester up the exhaust to be sure.
Will let you know how I get on tomorrow, float bowls have the windows to see the fuel level but finding it very difficult to see the level, first attempt at setting the secondary level resulted in fuel pouring into the chokes as too high!
Any suggestions welcome.
Thanks
Graham

ehjorten:
Your 383 in high performance trim has a volumetric efficiency of around 85%, so a 600 CFM carburetor properly tuned and matched to the other engine components is going to be good to about 6,000 RPM. A heavy truck with an automatic transmission, depending on your stall speed is going to like a smaller carb and will accelerate quicker, even though your top end power may drop off a bit. I would say your choice of a 670 CFM Carb isn't bad though, but it might not be as snappy as with the 600.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version