73-87 Chevy _ GMC Trucks > Electrical

84 Poppin' fuses

(1/3) > >>

Rockinar:
Bought a 1984 C10. The running lights dont work (bulbs good) and and reading this group found a thread where someone else's didnt either. I checked the T/L CTSV fuse and it was popped. Put a new one in and it quickly popped again.

Someone put a roll pan on it and I only see one ground and it's not even good. The wiring schematics I looked up show the rear lights should have two body grounds, one for each side.

1) Does the T/L CTSV fuse go to the running lights?

2) Bad grounds pop fuses correct? Sorry for the newb question, Im just now having to learn electrical.

bd:
T/L CTSY = Tail lamps and cab courtesy lamps fuse

Does the fuse pop shortly after installing it w/o you having to switch anything on, or do the tail lamps need to be switched on? 

Although it's possible, generally, poor grounds do not cause fuses to melt.

peewee0413:
Could be a bad switch or a short somewhere...You need to know when and what blows it. instantly = find the short either the switch or somewhere to the fuse. could even disconnect the switch if it blows instantly to be part of the check to eliminate the switch itself. If fusee holds switch off, then make each part of the switch function. If it blows disconnect that part of circuit and try again with a new fuse. if it doesnt blow then its somewhere that wire fed. Does it happen with high beams on or off... Tons of trials to check the root cause. It's always found with the LASTone, just hope the last one doesn't take long. Isolating electrical can be hard, but break it down into 1 wire at a time...

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Rockinar:

--- Quote from: bd on July 29, 2022, 06:23:30 PM ---T/L CTSY = Tail lamps and cab courtesy lamps fuse

Does the fuse pop shortly after installing it w/o you having to switch anything on, or do the tail lamps need to be switched on? 

--- End quote ---

T/L CTSV fuse pops when I pull the headlight knob to the first position.

New to me truck, so chasing the exterior lights bugs.

- Brake lights work
- Blinkers work front and rear
- Headlights both low/high work
- Interior dome light works

- Neither front or rear running lights work (bulbs are all good)
- Dash lights appear to not be working.

Im trying to chase down why the running lights dont work, and now why the T/L CTSY fuse pops. I suspect its related. Its the headlight switch or a bad ground or something Im thinking.

peewee0413:

--- Quote from: Rockinar on July 30, 2022, 12:11:41 AM ---
--- Quote from: bd on July 29, 2022, 06:23:30 PM ---T/L CTSY = Tail lamps and cab courtesy lamps fuse

--- End quote ---

T/L CTSV fuse pops about 3 seconds after I pull the headlight knob.

New to me truck, so chasing the exterior lights bugs.

- Brake lights work
- Blinkers work front and rear
- Headlights both low/high work
- Interior dome light works

- Neither front or rear running lights work (bulbs are all good)
- Dash lights appear to not be working.

Im trying to chase down why the running lights dont work, and now why the T/L CTSY fuse pops. I suspect its related. Its the headlight switch or a bad ground or something Im thinking.

--- End quote ---

I'm a Electrical Instrumentation and Controls technician by day...Don't look for a bad ground.

look for grounded wire that isn't supposed to be grounded. 3 seconds is just something pulling a little too much and blowing a fuse. Try disconnecting  feed wires for the running lights, which will be on the back of the switch... Brown wire maybe?.. I also think a green wire feeds your instrument panel light. Don't quote my colors, going off memory.

It may be a shorted wire to your running lights. maybe a bad socket, etc. disconnect the two wires mentioned one at a time and hopefully you get lucky. I'd go for the running lights wire first....

If you own a meter you can find out quickly.

If not you can try every wire on the switch 1 at a time. better have enough fuses lol

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version