Author Topic: 4L60 (700R4) cooling lines ?'s  (Read 2193 times)

Offline mikiesride

• Retired Newbie
4L60 (700R4) cooling lines ?'s
« on: August 01, 2022, 10:04:16 PM »
I'm looking for others having a SBC motor and a 4L60 (700R4) trans that maybe they have taken Pictures of the routing of the lines from the trans all the way up to the radiator, its how the bends are that I'm interested in. My motor & trans is out and when I mock my lines up they don't quite fit or run like I think they should. The lines don't run right or lay right with the starter in. They don't lay right going by and underneath the starter.

Don't beat me up to much as all of this is in my 68 C10, SBC motor, 4L60 overdrive trans, and yes I know I'm in a 73-87 truck forum.

So how about some pictures if you have any, it may or may not be of any good to me but it just might have something that gives me some ideas for the bends I'm looking for.
I rest up Mon-Fri  from Sat-Sun
Ask a question if you want an answer.
I come from the Old School ways.
And yes I do remember the 60's, LOL

Offline peewee0413

Re: 4L60 (700R4) cooling lines ?'s
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2022, 11:02:02 PM »
Here's kinda how it's ran on newer vehicles. These pictures are of starter changes, I think one shows the lines close to the starter snout,  but it might be because he's dropping the starter.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 01, 2022, 11:06:24 PM by peewee0413 »

Offline mikiesride

• Retired Newbie
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2022, 09:27:48 AM »
Thanks, not a whole lot to go by but its a start.

Offline peewee0413

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2022, 09:39:09 AM »
Is it too short or does it look weird?
You can always add AN fittings and a line of choice to the tranny and cooler. Lines will need to be bent for certain. Long term better choice, maybe a little more cost up front to do AN fittings and add lines.

I Searched for retro kits, and can't find any.

It's just plumbing for vehicles though, just make it work. Lol
 I'm actually getting ready to do AN lines to for the oil cooler on my 93 k1500 because the OEM push to connect leaks all the time.

Offline mikiesride

• Retired Newbie
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2022, 10:33:14 AM »
I can and will take some pictures when our Weather "Cooperates" better as rain and flood warnings  for the next day or so. Motor & trans is out of truck and covered up now outside as my Garage is my Woodworking Shop so I'll have to wait out the storm LOL. Still waiting on the other tubing bender to be delivered.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2022, 10:39:33 AM by mikiesride »

Offline peewee0413

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2022, 11:47:49 AM »
They make lines like this as well to act as extensions, or go around areas a tube won't or incapable or bending. Which  I know you're getting a bender, just showing options.

Offline mikiesride

• Retired Newbie
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2022, 01:07:54 PM »
Thanks but Not looking for those soft lines I want to stick with OEM type steel or SS lines or factory look.

Offline peewee0413

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2022, 01:14:34 PM »
Thanks but Not looking for those soft lines I want to stick with OEM type steel or SS lines or factory look.
I was thinking from frame next to engine to transmission cooler if length is your problem.  These are PTFE internal SS braided external. More than safe for a tranny cooler line extension.

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2022, 01:19:48 PM »
It's a 4L60 in a '68.  lol

Flexible lines allow for transmission movement.  Since you're fabricating all new lines, now is the perfect opportunity to be creative and increase the tubing size to -8AN.  Special 1/4" NPSM x -8AN male fittings are available from ATI to thread into the transmission to avoid cracking the aluminum case.  Then you can custom route and shroud the hard line inside the frame rail.  Use the stainless steel AN hose to jumper the hard line to the transmission and cooler.  Both the rigid and flexible lines can be insulated from proximal exhaust heat using reflective thermal sleeving and/or 18-ga steel heat shields if necessary.  To keep the installation clean and well organized, install bulkhead fittings through the frame plate and radiator support for connection to a supplemental cooler forward of the radiator.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline peewee0413

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2022, 01:23:41 PM »

Flexible lines allow for transmission movement.  Since you're fabricating all new lines, now is the perfect opportunity to be creative and increase the tubing size to -8AN.  Special 1/4" NPSM x -8AN male fittings are available from ATI to thread into the transmission to avoid cracking the aluminum case.  Then you can custom route and shroud the hard line inside the frame rail.  Use the stainless steel AN hose to jumper the hard line to the transmission and cooler.  Both the rigid and flexible lines can be insulated from proximal exhaust heat using reflective thermal sleeving and/or 18-ga steel heat shields if necessary.  To keep the installation clean and well organized, install bulkhead fittings through the frame plate and radiator support for connection to a supplemental cooler forward of the radiator.

X2 4l60 case cracking at fittings do happen.

Offline mikiesride

• Retired Newbie
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2022, 05:10:23 PM »

Like I said before Not interested in flexible lines especially your suggestion of (8AN Special 1/4" NPSM x 8AM male fittings). My first post reads I do have SS 5/16" lines but it seams as they don't run well at the starter area maybe needing a tweak or two( reason why I ordered two styles of tubing benders). My SS lines are from Inline Tube (SCTT7105) made to fit 71-72 C10 Truck with a 700R4/4L60 trans, mine is a 68 C10 stock OEM 4 core Radiator with a 4L60/700r4 trans hooking into a stock auto style Radiator. 67-72 C10's all the same as far as what I am doing.
Just trying to find pictures of the routing of OEM style hard lines (5/16")  from a 4L60/700R4 bolted to a SBC motor, that's it.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2022, 05:36:24 PM by mikiesride »

Offline Mike81K10

• Site Supporters
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2022, 05:28:19 PM »
I had bought a mastercool flat kit and it works on all lines to include SS. It also does the trans flare. If you need a flare kit it is good.
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin

Offline mikiesride

• Retired Newbie
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2022, 05:46:58 PM »
I had bought a mastercool flat kit and it works on all lines to include SS. It also does the trans flare. If you need a flare kit it is good.

I have got both single and double flaring tools if needed, but no "intentions"on cutting the SS lines just a tweak or two- - - - I hope LOL
« Last Edit: August 02, 2022, 05:58:24 PM by mikiesride »

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2022, 06:09:06 PM »
Hopefully, someone will be able to supply the images you requested in time to validate the line position and shape.  FYI - SS can become unforgiving, depending on the grade, as it work hardens when bending.  Do your best to keep tweaking to a minimum.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline peewee0413

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2022, 07:24:10 PM »
Hopefully, someone will be able to supply the images you requested in time to validate the line position and shape.  FYI - SS can become unforgiving, depending on the grade, as it work hardens when bending.  Do your best to keep tweaking to a minimum.
You can install cooler lines on the vehicle right?. I don't know, doesn't seem hard to me. I ran tubing for years as an EI&C tech. I'll find you a couple more pictures to ease the mind.