Author Topic: Rear view camera  (Read 986 times)

Offline Geezer77GMC

Rear view camera
« on: August 29, 2022, 09:41:05 AM »
I'd like to add a camera for trailer hitch-up assistance. I don't want it to be obvious, maybe inside the lip above tailgate release handle. Has anyone done this? The license plate models couldn't view my trailer ball and would be too obvious for my liking.
Thank you in advance.

Offline Shifty

• I bleed Bowtie red...
Re: Rear view camera
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2022, 11:50:32 AM »
I've been considering it as well, though I'll probably use the hole that the trailer plug connector used to be in, I'll just have to fab a bracket.
87 V20 Standard Cab Longbed (current)

87 R30 3+3 Longbed (days of yore)

98 C2500 ext cab longbed

Offline Geezer77GMC

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2022, 06:22:28 PM »
I was thinking of a bird's eye view of the hitch ball to ease trailer hook-up. Something like this that wouldn't be obvious to casual onlookers.

Vanxse CCTV Hd Mini Spy Pinhole Security Camera 3.6mm 90degree 1000tvl Hidden Mini CCTV Surveillance Camera(VS-TM036)

The ruler in the pic shows the general line of sight I'd like to achieve. My tailgate has a horizontal lip at the top of the release handle hole that might work for camera mounting. It is about 5/16 wide to provide tailgate strength in that area. The release handle never reaches the lip. Might be enough room to get creative and mount a mini camera out of sight.

Also thinking about cutting the center speaker area of the dash pad to become a lift-up monitor screen for the camera. It could switch the camera on when lifted to view the hitch ball. When lowered would generally blend back into the pad to look like a speaker grill outline.

Offline Shifty

• I bleed Bowtie red...
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2022, 09:02:33 AM »
I could see it pointing the right way with the shape of the tailgate contour....
87 V20 Standard Cab Longbed (current)

87 R30 3+3 Longbed (days of yore)

98 C2500 ext cab longbed

Offline mrghostwalker

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2022, 01:18:09 PM »
I'm thinking of putting one on the back just so I can backup all the way when I park!