73-87 Chevy _ GMC Trucks > Rear Drivelines, Drive Axles and Gearing

C2500 Rear axle stud replacement

(1/3) > >>

84GMCSierra:
Good Morning. I have an 84 GMC Sierra C2500, and I need to replace all 16 studs in the rear axles, due to them being extremely hard to get the lug nuts on and off. Anyways, do I need to remove the shafts to remove and install the new studs? I've seen a couple of different sizes, so not sure which one it is. I have the GQ1 rear axle(standard), and the C6P Heavy Duty Chassis, and the 13" brakes. Also, is there a tool for replacing them? I don't want to damage anything. Thanks and have a good weekend

bd:
Good morning!

Can you expound on the problem you're experiencing, perhaps post a pic?  Are the studs too short or bent?  Are the threads deeply rusted or otherwise damaged?  Might the solution be as simple as wire brushing or chasing with a proper die and then lubricating the threads?  Have you tried fitting one or two new lug nuts to see whether there is any improvement?

MIKE S:
My experience with your problem in the past is not the stud if it is not physically damaged. What I have seen is the lug nuts get overly tightened and they collapse on the the tapered cone end. You can try running a tap thru the lug nuts but I think once they have collapsed, they will collapse again. I would try new lug nuts and use a torque wrench on them. 

zieg85:
If you are using a 4 way that is normal.  The original 9/16 lugs are the made that way, nothing like a car style.  If you don't know the history of the truck someone may have used metric lugs in their place

Chevygold:
I'd run a hex die nut down the studs first, if that doesn't cure the problem run the nuts down a tap which will complete the job then tighten with a torque wrench to avoid overtightening.
Graham

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version