73-87 Chevy _ GMC Trucks > 73-87 Chevy & GMC Trucks

Mirror installation problem

(1/4) > >>

wideboots:

I bought a set of OME replacement mirrors for my 1978 Chevy 1/2 ton truck on e bay and they are beautiful chrome mirrors.  These mirrors were said to be original equipment on this year truck and I have, in fact, seen these mirrors on zillions of trucks.  

The problem is:  The mounting base that goes against the truck door is concave to fit the curve of the door.  The curve appears to be way too much for my door.  I took pictures of the mirror, but cannot figure out how to post it here.  Bummer   The mirrors come with a black piece of plastic that is supposed to go against the truck door before mounting the mirror.  Does this piece of plastic pull up tight against the mirror when mounted to compensate for the curve?  Any advice?  I don't want to start drilling holes in my brand new paint job for these mirrors until I can figure out what I am doing wrong.  The mirrors came in a box which indicates it is for a 78 Chevy truck.  Thanks bunches.  

Blazin:
Can you flaten it out with a rubber mallet and a block of wood?

wideboots:
Negative.

This is on the curved surface of the mirror base and is manufactured with a curve.  Sure do wish I could post the pictures I have.  Anyone know how to do that.

Blazin:
They sound like the mirrors from and 81  & up truck. The 74 - 80 ones have three legs with one bolt through each one.

Blazin:
If you go to the readers rides page. Do they look like the ones on the Blazer in the first picture or do they look like the ones on the pick up in the fourth picture?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version