73-87 Chevy _ GMC Trucks > Fuel Systems and Drivability

Dual fuel tank switching valve

(1/1)

treborjm:
Hey guys, noob here with a question...

I have a 1984 K10 Custom... It has dual fuel tanks... I will be adding a vortec 350 engine and transmission out of a 96 K1500.  I assume that I will need to change out the tank switching valve so that I can use both tanks.

Does anyone have the wiring diagram for the valve... assuming a 1987 K10, since it would have Fuel injection?

I also need that part number for that valve (1987 K10 Tank Switching valve) if anyone has it.

Thanks,

Rob
treborjm

Captkaos:
I have the 1987 (one year only switching valve for this series) for the TBI, but it is rated at only 20psi.  The 96 Vortec used Port injection which was high pressure (45-60psi), and it won't work. 
S&P ( http://hotrodlane.cc/ ) used a high pressure aftermarket switching valve on one of they converted 73-87 trucks and used the 1987 switch and harness with it.  The switch is GM 15599081. The switching harness is GM 12053117, no idea on the valve, I would call them and find out.

treborjm:
I hadn't thought about the fuel pressure issue.  Makes sense.

I found the wiring diagram on S&P's site.  I will call them and find out about the valve.

I would like to use an electronic Speedo out of a newer (91 - 92???) Blazer to go with the 4L60 (Would like to have a 4L80) trans.  Any thoughts on that one?  Part numbers, perhaps???

I have completed one other fuel injection project on a 78 El Camino.  Used TBI off of a 91 1500.  Been thinking about this one for several years.

Thanks for the info...

treb

Captkaos:
I am putting a 6.0L LSX in my 80's pickup under the projects forum along with putting a TPI/syclone ECM on my Jimmy and plan on putting a turbo on it.  The 6.0L will have the 4L80E, the TPI will just have a 700R4 or 200R4, haven't decided yet....  Still has a TH350.
Let us know what they say on the valve.  Mark is has been real helpful with info.

If you get a speedo out of a late model truck (I think 1983 - 1986) it has VSS in it for the Cruise, or you could use one from a 1987-1991 pickup/Burb/Blazer that has the it also for the ECM.

treborjm:
I did look at the VSS off of the cruise for the ECM, But I had disregarded it when I saw that you could get an electronic Speedo on the 1991 - 1992 Blazers/Surburbans.  I really did not want to deal with the little transponder that the VSS (off of the 1987 Crusie control) connects to.  I bought a couple of them from the junk yard and never found one that worked.  I tried one from a 1984 and one from 1987.  It was an attempt to get my cruise control working.  I pulled everything else out of a working cruise control setup.  (Except for the transponder that is.)

My intention is to use the Dash harness out of a 1991 Blazer and interface with that for the Vortec Fuel injection.  I still need to find the wiring diagram for the Blazer to do this tho.  Any thoughts on this?

I just spoke with Mark over at S&P... He says that he has the switching valve for $79.  It is capable of handling the 65+ PSI.  You have to re-route the fuel and return lines to do this.  Being that I don't have return lines on the truck now, it won't be all that hard to do.  The hard part will be finding the sending units for both tanks.  GM has discontinued those obviously.    Truck has them listed in their catalog.

I used the 200R4 in my El Camino, and was very happy with it.  FI plus the overdrive in the 200R4 helped me go from 16MPG to 21MPG.

Thanks again...

treb

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version