Author Topic: 04 chevy pickup  (Read 3246 times)

Offline chevyguy5894

04 chevy pickup
« on: September 04, 2007, 09:47:04 PM »
Does anyone have experiences with the 04 pickups having starting problems and wierd other things happening at the same time like the blower motor for the a/c?

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Re: 04 chevy pickup
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2007, 09:31:46 PM »
Be more specific about your particular truck and your particular problem and you'll get a more productive response.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline chevyguy5894

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2007, 11:23:47 PM »
It has a 4.3 v-6 auto 2wd the basic of basic. Everything lights up when you turn the key to the on position but when in this position the stereo doesnt power on and the blower motor for the a/c doesnt come on either. When you turn the key to start it it does nothing. My dad bought this pickup and its been in atleast 2 wrecks. The guy who owned it before had a push button switch to turn the motor over without using the key. Also does this year model have to have a special key like the Fords to start? My dad asks me to figure it out when he runs out of ideas of what it could be. The only things I can think is the special key, bad ground somewhere, or the starter solenoid. Sorry I wasnt more informative. Dad driving me nuts with the thing and I cant work on my 62 very much.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2007, 02:59:44 PM »
Go to the S terminal on the starter with your test light and have someone crank it. See if it lights up. Did you check the fuses for the radio and blower motor?
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2007, 03:05:12 PM »
What's your email address? I'll email u the diagnostic procedure
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

Offline chevyguy5894

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2007, 08:58:30 PM »
My email is chevyguy5894@hotmail.com. Thanks for the info. I think my dad is going to get a haynes book so we can look at the schematic too. Ill see if tomorrow we can check. Im oncall and still working just waiting for a customer to get home. Ill let you know what we find. 

Offline chevyguy5894

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2007, 07:42:07 PM »
I finally was able to find out for sure if there was power going to the s side of the starter and theres not when the key is engaged. I look at all the fuses and tested the ones under the hood to see if there was any power and they all had some kind of power to them but the fuses in the cab on the side of the dash didnt that said ign of some kind on them. We was also thinking maybe something to do with anti theft but I dont think this thing has that because it the basic model with no power anything.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2007, 10:11:20 AM »
There is a TSB on the ignition switch

When diagnosing a concern regarding an intermittent vehicle no crank or dead battery, technicians should remove and reinstall the ignition switch using the Ignition Switch Replacement procedure in the Steering Wheel and Column section of SI. The ignition switch may have been misindexed in the steering column during a previous replacement.

If the ignition switch is misindexed in one direction, the ignition switch circuits will not be completely open when the ignition switch is in the OFF position with the key removed. This may result in lights remaining on or instrument panel lights illuminating, which will drain the battery. If the ignition switch is misindexed in the opposite direction, the ignition circuits will open correctly but the ignition switch may not close the crank circuit properly when the ignition key is turned to the crank position. This will result in a no crank concern.

I am emailing you the diag procedure for no crank condition
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

Offline chevyguy5894

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2007, 02:05:40 PM »
Thanks thats biggest help Ive gotten. Yesterday the Chevy parts house told me about the ignition switch but wasnt sure on it.

Offline chevyguy5894

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2007, 10:56:13 PM »
I finally got it figured out the fuse panel that is under the dash by the door is bad. I hate modern technology.