Author Topic: New to the mysteries of the Quadrajet  (Read 20961 times)

Offline Dragon

Re: New to the mysteries of the Quadrajet
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2007, 10:21:29 PM »
Thanks for the pics Mr. Dragon, the carb has been out of my hands since Thursday when I took it to the rebuilder but I believe it looks more like the second pic posted by Captkaos (the '80's non computer controlled) with mine missing the vacuum pull-off(s) along with the linkage for the butterfly... the jury is still out on this because I haven't heard back yet from my guy doing the rebuild... talked to him Sat and he's aware of the problem.

Haven't broached this idea to my rebuilder yet but am wondering if I can't just put a manual choke cable on it and go with that? Problem is, all the aftermarket choke/cable setups I've seen so far look like they install on an existing electric choke setup that is mounted on the carb-body, not on the intake... anybody ever try this on their rig?
I agree that you don't have an Electric Carb, just was pointing out that your truck should have came with one, and your current Carb was swapped like the Intake Manifold.  By the time your truck rolled off the assembly line(Actually more like 1981/82 when Pickups/Vans/Suburbans recieved the Modified Q-Jets), Electric Carbs and Chokes were Standard Equiptment  Thanks to the strict Federal Standards.

Seeing that you lived in Kalifstonia, I wasn't sure if you still have to do any Emission Testing or Not??  If you do,  just figured that you might want to know what should be on there or not....
Dragon
08 Magnum-New Toy
96 Caprice 9C1-Who Knows
96 GMC ECLWB & 92 Chevy ECLWB
77 GMC K25 HS-Gone but Not Forgotten

Offline Dave Kay

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2007, 10:24:15 PM »
It's a mid 80's 305 cast iron 4 bbl manifold. It's a boat anchor. Your best bet is to find another electric choke carb.

Wow, no kidding... a big thanks for looking that up and too bad I sold the boat.

Actually, I've been thinking that buying another intake would be better than buying another carb because mine went to the rebuilder last week and I got $$$ bucks into that. Been going to those guys for over 10 years and they're about the best in my area, so I have faith that at least it's proper for my year truck. As far as I can see, the only parts missing on my carb now are the vaccum pull-off for an intake-mounted choke and the linkage... those can't be THAT expensive? (cringe)

Looked at the Weiand 8000 spreadbore w/EGR and choke riser and they're 50 state smog legal, around $155 online. What is the collective opinion on aluminum intakes? How do they hold up for the long run? Warp, leak problems? Or should I go with another cast iron intake? Not really giddy about buying USED iron (or alu) but wondering if by now anything NEW isn't all made in freakin' China... (my American problem)

A big thanks again!
« Last Edit: September 30, 2007, 10:31:54 PM by Dave Kay »

Offline Dave Kay

« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2007, 11:39:20 PM »
Thanks for the pics Mr. Dragon, the carb has been out of my hands since Thursday when I took it to the rebuilder but I believe it looks more like the second pic posted by Captkaos (the '80's non computer controlled) with mine missing the vacuum pull-off(s) along with the linkage for the butterfly... the jury is still out on this because I haven't heard back yet from my guy doing the rebuild... talked to him Sat and he's aware of the problem.

Haven't broached this idea to my rebuilder yet but am wondering if I can't just put a manual choke cable on it and go with that? Problem is, all the aftermarket choke/cable setups I've seen so far look like they install on an existing electric choke setup that is mounted on the carb-body, not on the intake... anybody ever try this on their rig?
I agree that you don't have an Electric Carb, just was pointing out that your truck should have came with one, and your current Carb was swapped like the Intake Manifold.  By the time your truck rolled off the assembly line(Actually more like 1981/82 when Pickups/Vans/Suburbans recieved the Modified Q-Jets), Electric Carbs and Chokes were Standard Equiptment  Thanks to the strict Federal Standards.

Seeing that you lived in Kalifstonia, I wasn't sure if you still have to do any Emission Testing or Not??  If you do,  just figured that you might want to know what should be on there or not....

Thanks for that info Mr. Dragon and YES--- The People's Republic of Kalifstonia surely does have emmisson testing and in fact, The Comissars keep screwing around and changing the standards (laws) every few years so as to eventually "outlaw" older vehicles like ours... coming soon to theater near you! WAKE UP AMERICA! (Dang it now, get me off that podium already...)

To respond to your post; when I talked to my carb rebuilder he told me that as long as a vehicle has all the required FED/CA emmision do-dads in the right places and plugged in, the STATE-SPONSORED-SMOG-DEAMON-BORG who has the power of life-or-death over your vehicle, only looks, and then gives you a visual PASS or FAIL. Then, if you passed that he puts the sniffer up the tailpipe and runs his evil machine... accordingly, he does NOT pull the air-cleaner and look for carb numbers, choke assemblies, manifold casting numbers.

Having said all that, I would like the truck to get thru smog test on the semi-annual basis without a hitch and not have to hassle with all this stuff again. So I put my faith in my rebuilder's info because he's got my old '77 Chevy 292 (another project-truck) thru the system for over ten years now and he's one of the best... however, I do welcome all second opinons.

Thanks for your input but at this point I think I'll be alright with a newer intake (w/thermal choke) and my current carb... (your opinon on Weiand aluminum intakes would also be appreciated)

I should also add that according to the California State Department of Motor Vehicles, (SIEG HEIL!) this truck was last registerd in 2004 and passed smog-test... ah!---the mystery!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2007, 10:49:40 AM by Captkaos »

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2007, 10:52:23 AM »
Dave, as Vile said the intake is not worth saving.  If it is allowed (I live in Alabama so I don't have emissions) I would put a Spreadbore Aluminum intake on it.  Just get one that is for idle to 5500rpms and in dual plane and you should be fine.  Historically I use Edelbrock...

BTW please keep in mind this is a family oriented site when posting.

Offline Dave Kay

« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2007, 12:11:10 PM »
Dave, as Vile said the intake is not worth saving.  If it is allowed (I live in Alabama so I don't have emissions) I would put a Spreadbore Aluminum intake on it.  Just get one that is for idle to 5500rpms and in dual plane and you should be fine.  Historically I use Edelbrock...

Yes absolutely Capt--- family-oriented and will definitly comply. Apologies if my cultural satire went over-the-top or offended anyone.

On the spreadbore aluminum: I'm in agreement on chucking my old intake but looking online for something smog-legal to replace it I couldn't find anything from Edelbrock w/EGR riser, only came up with the Weiand 8000, and that looks like my only option... unless anyone knows of something else?

You guys have no emmision standards? Wow, I envy you 'Bama boys! Thanks again for your input.

Offline Dave Kay

« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2007, 12:07:55 AM »
thanks Dave.  The Edelbrock EGR version is PN 3701
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=EDL%2D3701&autoview=sku

Weiand 8000
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=WND%2D8000&autoview=sku

Summit version:
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=SUM%2D226017&autoview=sku

GM Performance:
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=NAL%2D10185063&autoview=sku

Wow, thanks a whole bunch for that post CaptK, looked at all those intakes and drooled alot... but darned if I couldn't get the same results at Summit as you did... prolly cause I added the actual vehicle make to the query; 1986 GMC C3500 5.7 'M'.... Using that it only returned the Weiand 8000. Try that and see what you get? Anyway, just as well because here's the Official Word from The State of California as to what I can "legally" install on my truck--- scroll to the bottom of that page;

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/devices/aftermktdevice.php

you might also notice the Holley there too towards the bottom of list, but it's a square bore, no can do. Hope that Weiand is a good-for-the longhall setup and thanks again for your all your help and a ton o' thanks to all who posted their advice too... looks like this stage of the project is in the bag. How do I PayPal you guys to become a supporting member?

By the way, I never did get any opinions here on aluminum intakes... vs. iron that is.

(edited) ooops, that link didn't work... see waht we gotta' deal with out here... lol

Try this and go to After Market Parts Sold in California than go to After Market Parts Data Base and look at intakes...

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/aftermkt.htm
« Last Edit: October 02, 2007, 12:16:20 AM by Dave Kay »

Offline Captkaos

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2007, 09:25:08 AM »
I thought that is what we were talking about aluminum vs iron.  Which is why we both said the factory iron intakes are a boat anchor.

I only looked up Emmissions equipped intakes that had the EGR.

If you would like to send a donation, you can send it to webmaster@73-87chevytrucks.com.

Offline Lt.Del

• Andy aka:SgtDel
  • DelbridgePhotography.com
    • www.delbridge.net
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2007, 10:50:55 PM »
I have the edelbrock 3701 (w/egr) on my  383 stroker and it does great for me.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2007, 10:52:46 PM by SgtDel »

Offline Dragon

« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2007, 02:32:33 AM »

Yes absolutely Capt--- family-oriented and will definitly comply. Apologies if my cultural satire went over-the-top or offended anyone.

On the spreadbore aluminum: I'm in agreement on chucking my old intake but looking online for something smog-legal to replace it I couldn't find anything from Edelbrock w/EGR riser, only came up with the Weiand 8000, and that looks like my only option... unless anyone knows of something else?

You guys have no emmision standards? Wow, I envy you 'Bama boys! Thanks again for your input.
My Apologies as well for stirring the Pot to Get Dave Riled! Didn't get a chance to read our post before it was edited, but I too get frustrated with my State's Policies on Older Cars/Trucks, so I too get on my Box from time to time ;D  I have friends and Family in Kalifstonia, and they tell me that they get an Evil Eye, if their Air Clear Wing Nut isn't facing the right direction at the Test Stations they go to ::)

So far my State no longer test Cars/Trucks over 20+ yrs, but have been talking about doing the same as Kalifstonia, to keep/increase State Revenue.  Ofcourse with them cutting down on the City Parking, and Gouging you with the fees to park in the Available Spaces.   Here is a bit of retarded logic for you, my County and Surrounding Areas make a pretty good profit from Gas Taxes,Licensing and Emissions Testing Fees/etc, yet they are cutting down on parking in the major areas, and placing fees on available spaces making it even more difficult for those who can barely afford to drive. ???

I am leaning towards a GM Performance Aluminum Intake myself(same as Capt posted a link to), as try to use pieces that would be State Emissions approved just incase!  Aluminum Intakes have come along ways in durability and performance wise, you just got to remember to use a good gasket set/and silicone sealer, follow the Bolt Pattern, and Torque to proper manufacturer specs to keep the chance of warping to a minimum(Really what you should do with all Engine Parts, Aluminum or Factory Cast Iron.).

Also if you don't have a Intake Thermal Choke as of yet, Brothers has these available
http://www.brotherstrucks.com/products.asp?dept=467
'69 is the Newest they have listed for a Small Block, but I don't why it wouldn't work for a '73-91 Pickup/Suburban/Van if so equipted(May get one myself, if I can't add a Choke to the side of the Freshly rebuilt Quad on my truck, and if I get a new intake) ???
Dragon
08 Magnum-New Toy
96 Caprice 9C1-Who Knows

Offline Captkaos

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2007, 09:25:27 AM »
You can get those chock setups from about any parts store.  I know Napa had one.  They won't work on the later models though as they were electric chock and the 87-91's were TBI.  I am guessing you were talking about using it on a non-stock intake for the application?

Offline Dragon

« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2007, 04:46:05 PM »
You can get those chock setups from about any parts store.  I know Napa had one.  They won't work on the later models though as they were electric chock and the 87-91's were TBI.  I am guessing you were talking about using it on a non-stock intake for the application?
Yep Capt, both Dave and I don't have Carb mounted Chokes on our Trucks(mine has a Rebuilt Quad, but I believe the previous owner got the wrong one back from his rebuilder), so if either of us use a different manifold, we would need a new Thermal Choke like the one I posted/Napa carries.
Dragon
08 Magnum-New Toy
96 Caprice 9C1-Who Knows

Offline Dave Kay

« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2007, 09:16:26 PM »
What was it I said earlier about "this stage of the project is in the bag." ?~@#%?!!

Well, I've learned a lot from this forum as well as my local souces but still a lotta' questions in my mind... and after a long day "under the hood" cleaning, scraping, etc., I consulted my carb rebuilder about those new aluminum intakes (which would be legal) but he says the old iron intake is good to go and I should just install it, choke or no choke... more about that later...

He also says that he doesn't believe the old iron is a 305 intake either--- personally I don't know---- and not to insult Mr. Vile's integrity, but my rebuilder is asking how that info was aquired... I've searched all over the net and came up w/nuttin' as far as casting numbers. Did happen upon a really good site though: http://www.mortec.com/castnum.htm Maybe you guys have seen it before.

As far as the choke, thanks for that Brother's link Mr. Dragon, and if I were to get the new Alu intake, those thermals would surely be the ticket. But I'm undecided on intakes now. To further uncloak this mystery, the local Chevy dealer dated my carb, and get this--- as pre-1973! Yikes! Back to my carb rebuilder: he says he'll install a manual choke cable if needed, install leaner jets, route vacuum lines to carb ports, and get the thing through smog come heck or high water. He also says to save my money by NOT buying another intake because 2 years from now if I need to get a smog-test from any other shop (should that need ever arise) I'll have to find the proper/year carb--- w/electric choke... that was already in my plans but just a quick search for a re-buildable core looks to already be a tough-nut!

I should also mention that of the three local parts houses that I trust, all of them poo-pooed the idea of getting one of the "boxed" remanufactured carbs because they're all leakers--- big time! This set me back a notch, but they say the reason they leak is because they sit on the shelf for so long that the seals dry out and people return them constantly... anybody heard that before?

Offline Captkaos

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2007, 09:41:36 AM »
14057055 PN is a SBC manifold found on 305's or 350's.  It is still a cast iron hunk of metal and does nothing for making power.  Which is why we suggested getting an aluminum one.  If you don't mind the current setup, there isn't anything actually "wrong" with it.

Have seen Mortec, but I use nastyz28 for internet searches on PN.  You can also get the book Chevy by numbers or something like that.

Looking back on your orginal post you stated the truck was a 3500 (1 Ton) technically these were emmissions limited from what I know about.  BUT for the carb, I see no problem getting a carb from the parts store for you application.  I just sold one I used on my Jimmy for a while, didn't have any problems with it. 

If you want a good shop, try http://www.thecarburetorshop.com and ask them about you application.  They have a reputation for doing a great job on rebuilding them and sometimes have them in stock.

Offline Dragon

« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2007, 02:11:02 AM »
I should also mention that of the three local parts houses that I trust, all of them poo-pooed the idea of getting one of the "boxed" remanufactured carbs because they're all leakers--- big time! This set me back a notch, but they say the reason they leak is because they sit on the shelf for so long that the seals dry out and people return them constantly... anybody heard that before?
Yes I used to work for one of the Local Parts Stores, and I can vouch that quite a few of the boxed Carbs would leak after sitting on the self for awhile!  Of course to remedy them sitting on the shelves for too long, our Stores made sure to have enough of them out on the floor to be easily seen by Customers.  That idea was great in that quite a few of them made it out the door at many locations, the downside was that not many made it to the registers before hand(We're talking $300-$600 Edelbrock and Demons) ::) 

For when you do find a rebuildable core and are looking to have a Performer and Emissions Approved Q-jet, I would check out these guys!
Sean Murphy Induction:
http://www.smicarburetor.com/
Sean's around my age(31 give or take), and he knows how to Rebuild Carbs like no ones business! He's also in Kalifslavia, so he knows abit more as to what you can or can't do in The Peoplez Republik 8)

Cliff's Highperformance Carbs:
http://www.cliffshighperformance.com/
Cliff literally wrote the book on "How to Rebuild, and Modify Rochester Quadra-Jets"
Dragon
08 Magnum-New Toy
96 Caprice 9C1-Who Knows