Author Topic: Need help on headers  (Read 14638 times)

Offline Lit549

• Banned
Need help on headers
« on: March 17, 2014, 12:41:33 PM »
Ok,85 c10 swb,350 vortech.Been lowered4-6.Ive narrowed the search to headman 69010 for c10's that are lowered,next,Hooker 2466hkr.Anyone use these or any other headers that will not hang below frame on lowered truck? Yes ive found a jillion threads about this,but no def answer to what fits best.I would love to keep long tubes for power but they scrape.I wanna know what definately fits(for around 200-250$? I seen that dynomax has the wlk-85118 but theyre to thin AND 1 1/2 primaries(too small). Ive seen the ones on ebay that are stainless for 200$ and 3/8 flanges but dont know if theyll fit..Any suggestions on ones that fit perfect?!!

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
Re: Need help on headers
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 03:41:36 PM »
     I know that there are at least 2 members on here that I can think of right now that swear by hooker headers and will not use anything else. 
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 04:04:03 PM »
I know the Walker dynomax ones you list fit but they are 3/4 length. 

I have heard Doug Thorley 372YC will fit.

Chris Lucas
73-87chevytrucks.com
captkaoscustoms.com
squarebody.biz

Offline Lit549

• Banned
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 05:17:42 PM »
Thanks guys,hey Capt the dynomax's look like the hooker2466hkr from what ive seen.What i want is the longest possible(for power) and stay above frame,and 3/8 flange with 14-16 ga metal..Wish i could afford the coated headmans but 400-500$ is outta my range..I had a guy tell me full length headers for a 69 camaro fit the bill? Just trying to see what people have used as id hate to buy some and not fit!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 10:32:03 PM by Captkaos »

Offline Lit549

• Banned
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 06:52:01 PM »
     I know that there are at least 2 members on here that I can think of right now that swear by hooker headers and will not use anything else.
Who are they i wonder? Id love to here how they fit(2466hkr)?

Offline lukessguare

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 06:55:35 PM »
Those hedmans wouldn't fit my square. Pasenget side hit frame driver side hit inside lower a arm at stock hight. I went back to manifold and this 305 has torque again. They were on it when i got it but beat to heck heck n back am still rubbed a arm. Just my 2 cents
Mines an 87 though.tbi. may be a lil difference.

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2014, 07:08:39 PM »
Who are they i wonder? Id love to here how they fit(2466hkr)?

I know one is Engineer, the other is slipping my mind right this second, but his truck under his signature pic is nicknamed "working girl" and I am sure someone will know who I am talking about.
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2014, 07:55:42 PM »
Rich Weyand
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline timthescarrd

• Frequent Member
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2014, 07:58:55 PM »
The guys recommending hooker headers do so because they clear the front driveshaft for 4x4 trucks where other long-tubes dont, being a lowered c10 that's not gonna matter to you. 

Shorty or mid-length headers will actually work better for top-end horsepower because they allow the exhaust into the larger diameter tubes quicker for better high RPM performance.  Long-tube headers work better for low-end and mid-range torque because they retain a higher exhaust velocity. 

Offline Lit549

• Banned
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2014, 10:09:44 PM »
Im also gonna run the e haust above the crossmember too.Im tired of scraping stuff cause its too low..Thanks 4 the info,i guess its between the Hookers and Headmans..
Sure wish i new someone whos used the ebay stainless ones?!

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2014, 10:33:06 PM »
Vile used some Ebay ones but not full length.

Offline holleyj3

• Only New Here
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2014, 12:46:39 AM »
I have the Hedman 69010's on my '85.  The only difficulty I had with them is that there is a heat shield on the passenger side firewall/floorboard that sticks down around an inch or so that gets in the way of that side mounting.  I cut it off and the header mounted up fine.  I still have about 3/4 of an inch clearance between the header and the firewall and haven't noticed any heat issues on the floor.  The paint burns off almost immediately and if I had it to do over again I'd probably have them stripped and ceramic coated before installing them.  Still thinking about pulling them off and having them coated.
85 Chevy C10 Silverado LWB

Offline Ross1958

• New Users
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2019, 07:51:42 AM »
just thought I would throw a comment on the fire of header heat. I just bought the headman 69010. I have a crate 350 I bought and am installing it in a 1986 C-10. I will do my best to keep the readers up to date, right now I am working on a rear lowering by shackles 4 inches. just to level the truck out. I am working on putting the batteries in the bed in their own custom built box, reasoning is heat reduction and opening up the engine compartment. gonna be a while....
question your beliefs, sometimes your wrong