Author Topic: Anyone make a 3" exhaust system?  (Read 2681 times)

Offline SinisterC10

Anyone make a 3" exhaust system?
« on: June 08, 2017, 12:41:56 AM »
I have seen numerous 2.5" systems for these trucks but haven't been able to find any 3" kits. I'm looking for a kit with X pipe.

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
Re: Anyone make a 3" exhaust system?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2017, 04:59:00 PM »
can i ask why you want 3" pipes? we havnt had a good discussion on exhaust pipe in a little. but you do know you can have too big of a pipe size?
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2017, 05:29:36 PM »
just to also get you thinking a true dual system of 3.25" is big enough to support a 800 hp motor. you will lose performance if you have an systems that is too big, at a certain point you will lose the scavenging effect. but too small will cause back pressure and will take performance also

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline SinisterC10

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2017, 06:15:17 PM »
Thanks for the replies and I'm sure you guys mean well but I'm quite aware of what my engine needs. I've been building engines for street cars to Pro Comp dragsters for 20+yrs.

The engine in this truck is a 615hp mechanical roller SBC stroker and going with a 2.5" exhaust will caus significant power loss. Anytime your up over 500hp you generally want a 3" system.

Building an exhaust system from scratch isn't hard it's just time consuming. And, since my Millermatic has been acting up lately that is why I'm asking if anyone makes a bolt on 3" kit.

If you cant answer the question then please don't comment.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 09:09:17 PM by SinisterC10 »

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2017, 07:20:51 PM »
right and we can agree on you need 3" for 600 hp. generally on here most the guys arnt pushing that type of power and i like to clear things up with them before they make a mistake that could cost them performance. i know chris on here sells 2.5" pipe but like you said that only good for under 500, more like around 450 imo on the safe side. i would also check with him and see if he can you can email him (webmaster@73-87chevytrucks.com)