Author Topic: My new build thread. 1977 C10 shotry  (Read 18335 times)

Offline BADAZ chevy guy

• Registered Users
  • Chevy! My drug of choice!
Re: My new build thread. 1977 C10 shotry
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2014, 12:53:12 AM »
Took the truck for a short drive yesterday. I discovered the radiator has a sever leak. It's at the radiator shop today, have to wait until tomorrow to find out if it can be repaired or if I'll need a new one. I also think I have the wrong TV cable. the transmission wont up-shift under throttle. I lengthened it as much as I could and it made it a little better, but I still need to back off to make it shift smoothly.

Offline FearNoMan78k10

• A project turned into a complete rebuild
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2014, 10:09:15 AM »
That's awesome hood you have on the truck !  What are your plans for this truck ?
78 k10 4x4

Offline BADAZ chevy guy

• Registered Users
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2014, 12:06:06 PM »
I like the hood also. Came with the truck when I bought it.
Plans include a 5" lowering all around, rebuilt 350 V8 with Vortec heads, mild cam and a duel plane manifold, Bright Yellow paint.

Offline FearNoMan78k10

• A project turned into a complete rebuild
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2014, 01:31:57 PM »
That ought to be real sweet when you get it all done , I think yellow will look awesome on this truck , and a 350 will power it like a mini rocket ship :-) you will be having fun that's for sure, what's the time frame on the build ? Just curious ....
78 k10 4x4

Offline BADAZ chevy guy

• Registered Users
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2014, 01:43:06 PM »
Time frame? This is the last project my dad and I will probably ever do. He's 79 and I'm 56. I just hope we can get most of it done before he's gone. In any case, the build is dedicated to him.

Offline BADAZ chevy guy

• Registered Users
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2014, 01:44:28 PM »
While waiting for the radiator fix, I decided to pull the plugs and do a comp test. I wasn't running all that well anyway. 1-120, 2-142, 3-123, 4,130, 5-126, 6-130, 7-130, 8-135. There's a 22 pound spread, but considering it's a 37 year old motor I'm happy for now. Truck build will include a rebuilt motor anyway.
Plugs that were burning all looked fine, but 2 of them had no gap what so ever. That was probably most of the stumbling problem.

Offline BADAZ chevy guy

• Registered Users
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2014, 09:40:15 PM »
Just found another sweet deal. 1980 2WD SWB frame. All the front & rear suspension including a 12 bolt rear axle.
Wait for it......

$200.00...
DELIVERED!!!

Offline BADAZ chevy guy

• Registered Users
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2014, 02:02:58 PM »
Can't decide if I should get the frame sand blasted and painted right away, or wait until I can actually afford to start the work on it.

Offline BADAZ chevy guy

• Registered Users
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2014, 02:18:28 PM »
Thinkin' of incorporating something like this on my front grill. What do you think?

Offline thirsty

• Suitor's Garage
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2014, 04:28:39 PM »
Can't decide if I should get the frame sand blasted and painted right away, or wait until I can actually afford to start the work on it.
If your plans don't include modifying the frame, then I would blast it and paint it right away.
Piece #1 will be done and ready for other parts.

If you are going to modify it then blast and paint it after it is mocked up.
Real trucks are built, not bought Build thread

Give me a long enough lever and a place to stand, and I shall move the earth or break this bolt...Whatever, just hold my beer!

Offline BADAZ chevy guy

• Registered Users
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2014, 07:09:08 PM »
Plans may, or may not, include a C-notch. I won't know until I get the axle swap done and take measurements. The front will stay basically the same. Only adding drop spindles and lowering springs. And of course, new bushings all around.

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2014, 07:40:39 PM »
     I think your idea for a front grill emblem would look very cool and different if done right.
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline BADAZ chevy guy

• Registered Users
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2014, 12:27:22 PM »
Got final inspection this morning. Ya for me!!!
Then I discovered a new problem. The air horn on the Q-jet is warped. Secondaries will open, but then they get stuck open and flood the engine. I pulled it apart. There's a good 1/8" warp in it.
PO or someone he had working on the carb didn't know what they were doing.

Offline Greybeard

• Frequent Member
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2014, 06:46:39 PM »
I read your thread on the other forum. I hear you on all the aches and pains of advancing years due to injuries. I had my right shoulder x-rayed today and later this week I'll be getting my right elbow x-rayed also. I've had both shoulders dislocated, two severe concussions, heat stroke, two times had heat exhaustion, broke my neck as a kid, my ankle as a young adult, my left index finger as a kid, my upper spine had those knobby spinal protrusions sheared off a few years ago, but since I could still walk and breath I didn't go to the doctor, not a great idea but I only went to a doctor if I couldn't move the part suspected of being broke. It's all catching up since I've slowed down over the past few years. BTW, I'm 57.

Hang in there. Do what is possible but always attempt the impossible, because when you do what's improbable the grin that your faces sets in hurts and all the other pains are forgotten.   ;)
I am what I am and I ain't no more!

Offline BADAZ chevy guy

• Registered Users
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2014, 07:31:56 PM »
dang... A brother from another mother. lol I think I'll start calling you "Lucky" that's what my friends call me. lol
As it turns out the problem with the carb wasn't warping (although there is some) it was the plug at the end of the upper secondary butterfly shaft. It was in to tight and was binding the shaft. A drift punch and a wack from a hammer on the opposite end cured the problem.
The frame turned out to be a bust also. It was full of cracks and the shock mounts had been re-welded several times.
Thank you for your kind and encouraging words. I'm not ready to give up, I just get frustrated once in a while because there's things that the pain wont allow anymore.