73-87 Chevy _ GMC Trucks > Electrical

dome lamp

(1/3) > >>

Harmon:
86  Chevrolet C10

I put a bulb in the inside dome lamp today.  There has not been one for 10 years since I had truck.  When I put it in, it immediately lit up with the doors closed.

I checked the door jamp switches as far as taking them out and seeing if they were plugged in.  They were.

There is a slight dimming of the dome lamp if I close the doors compared to one being open.

Why would my dome lamp always be on if the doors are closed?

LongBox85:
Is your light switch (pull type on dash) twisted? mine comes on when it is turned all the way counterclockwise.

75gmck25:
That light always has power, and is grounded by the door switches or by turning the headlight knob in the dash full to the left.   However, its possible that wire insulation is worn somewhere and its finding another path to ground. 

The dome light harness has an orange wire for power and white for ground.  It runs from the light down the driver's side corner of the cab and then under the kick plate and up to the dash. It takes a lot of wear and is subject to water leaks under the door kick plate, so that is the most likely grounding point.

Bruce

Harmon:
Thanks, I will chase that wire down and see if I see anything.

Harmon:
Driver door jamb wires fell off as I was pulling it out of the cab.  Any ideas to fish those out?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version