Author Topic: Wiring up power windows and door locks  (Read 67918 times)

Offline DnStClr

Re: Wiring up power windows and door locks
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2014, 09:27:51 AM »
BD,is the air handler where you located your relays too, like Frotoside? Finding space under the dash for mounting the relays is a real problem in my truck.

On edit, I think I'll put my relays on the L/H side under the hood opener cable.(Excuse the rusty panel-I have just removed all of my interior trim for a re-color job).

« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 02:21:33 PM by DnStClr »
Don
87 Chevy Silverado

Offline jpatters13

• 74' Chevy Truck Project
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2014, 12:16:20 PM »
This is what I purchased. Exactly what was pictured in the previous post
http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=27076.0;attach=24185;image
84 Silverado K10
74 Custom Deluxe C10

Offline jpatters13

• 74' Chevy Truck Project
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2014, 12:26:07 PM »
Another question.  Should the blue and white striped wire and the brown wire coming from the dual driver's side switch to relays 3 and 4 (for passenger up and down) be connected only to those relays?  In other words, do I need to make sure I don't just splice into the factory wires with wires to coming from terminal 86 on relays 3 & 4 and leave the rest of each original wire terminating wherever they originally go? Does that make sense?

http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=27076.0;attach=24191;image
84 Silverado K10
74 Custom Deluxe C10

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2014, 12:20:00 AM »
BD,is the air handler where you located your relays too, like Frotoside? Finding space under the dash for mounting the relays is a real problem in my truck.

On edit, I think I'll put my relays on the L/H side under the hood opener cable.(Excuse the rusty panel-I have just removed all of my interior trim for a re-color job).

@ Don -
It is pretty tight up in there.  My relays are nestled high up at the top of each kick panel just below the dash shell.  I have to remove the instrument cluster and glovebox to access them.  Fortunately, relays rarely require service....

This is what I purchased. Exactly what was pictured in the previous post
http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=27076.0;attach=24185;image

@ jpatters13 -
It's difficult to be certain from the small image of the relay, but it doesn't appear to be 'clamped,' so you needn't be concerned.  [FYI - diode clamped relays require terminals 85 & 86 be connected into a circuit with careful attention to +/- circuit polarity].
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2016, 08:26:37 PM »
I am in the middle of implementing this wiring configuration.  I have only one question. Am I reading the diagram correct that terminals 87A and 85 on all four relays are grounded?

Correct.  But, there is a caveat:  Are the relays you're using surge clamped with a diode internally connected between terminals 85 and 86?

This diagram does not appear correct to me. The passenger side switch isn't going to operate the system considering this design requires B+ from the switch. It also has two contradicting statements. It says to connect the switch wires to cavity 85 of relay 3 and 4 and then cavity 86 of 3 and 4 in the other statement. I think we need to update this diagram correctly and get one pinned in the tech section.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2016, 11:24:54 PM »
It's approaching two years since I examined that diagram.  You're right!  All of the factory wiring that connects to the right switch has been omitted from the drawing, but still exists in practice.  IIRC, frotosride said that he did that to keep the diagram from appearing quite so cluttered.  For anyone not knowing the original wiring is still connected though not illustrated, the omission makes the diagram virtually unusable.  Frustrating!

The most straightforward modification would be to leave all of the factory wiring as is and just reroute the motor wires from the switches to the control terminals of the relays.  Then the relays would power the motors via a single, dedicated 30-amp breaker and 10-gauge wire pairs.  That would entail stuffing four additional wires through each doorjamb conduit to/from the relays mounted under the dash - two near each door.  Thoughts?
Rich
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!

Offline LTZ C20

• "I'm here for a good time" -George Strait
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2016, 11:54:27 PM »

The most straightforward modification would be to leave all of the factory wiring as is and just reroute the motor wires from the switches to the control terminals of the relays.  Then the relays would power the motors via a single, dedicated 30-amp breaker and 10-gauge wire pairs.  That would entail stuffing four additional wires through each doorjamb conduit to/from the relays mounted under the dash - two near each door.  Thoughts?

I don't see why that wouldn't work. Sounds like the smartest and easiest thing to do.
LTZ Cheyenne C20

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2016, 09:23:48 AM »
I'll take a look at it too and compare the factory wiring diagram when I get a chance.
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

Offline frotosride

• WFO CONCEPTS
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2016, 06:27:11 PM »

I don't see why that wouldn't work. Sounds like the smartest and easiest thing to do.

This is exactly what I did since the passenger switch received power from the drivers switch. The only issue is that there has to be a diode in both passenger relays but only on the wires coming from the driver's side switch. Otherwise there will be feed back and blow the fuse.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 06:52:03 PM by bd »
"Beat it like a red-headed ford"
1987 v10 Silverado(LQ4), 87 R10,83 K20, 83 cucv 6.2 Detroit
2006 Boulevard M109R 109 cid,2019 M109R BOSS
2009 Jeep XK, (future LS Swap)
GSXR 750 engine awaiting go kart

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2016, 08:12:55 PM »
This is exactly what I did since the passenger switch received power from the drivers switch.  The only issue is that there has to be a diode in both passenger relays but only on the wires coming from the driver's side switch.  Otherwise there will be feed back and blow the fuse.

Only, that isn't what you did.  Referring to your diagram, by connecting the driver (master) switch directly to the right window relays (R3 and R4), you rewired the master and passenger switches into a crossed circuit configuration.  That configuration shunts power directly to ground through the master switch when the passenger switch is actuated - hence, the need for isolation diodes.  You introduced the complication when you added the two jumpers between the tan and dark blue/white wires from the master switch and R3/R4. 

If you hadn't jumpered the driver switch to R3 and R4, but instead, simply rerouted the power leads that connect to the right motor directly to the R3 and R4 relay control terminals and allowed the driver switch to operate the passenger window motor through the passenger window switch, the short circuit never would have occurred.
Rich

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2016, 07:46:19 PM »
Agreed. BD do you have time to redraw the schematic correctly? I pulled the clean oe diagrams up and will post them
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2016, 07:54:54 PM »
4 Door

2 Door

Power Locks

« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 11:22:51 AM by VileZambonie »
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2016, 08:04:28 PM »
I'll fiddle with it, but won't promise a quick turnaround.  I'm in the throws of my busiest season, now.  Unfortunately, the CAD program I use is proprietary and few would be able to view the diagram.  I'll need to use an alternate approach or determine a way to image the output file.
Rich

Offline LTZ C20

• "I'm here for a good time" -George Strait
« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2016, 10:39:29 PM »
I'll wait untill a clear and correct redesign is presented, when that is available, I will do the window relay upgrade for my truck according to the new diagram. Until then, the stock setup is still working just fine.
LTZ Cheyenne C20

Offline AZ87V10

• Registered Users
« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2016, 10:55:03 PM »
I'll wait untill a clear and correct redesign is presented, when that is available, I will do the window relay upgrade for my truck according to the new diagram. Until then, the stock setup is still working just fine.

Yep! That's my thoughts on it exactly! I've inquired about this in the past and got different schematics and answers. I would want to do it right the first time I tear into it! Right now though, all functions as it should, albeit slowly. Also, I just don't have the time to tear into it! But all the help and opinions offered on this are always great!
1987 Chevy V-10 Silverado short bed, 350TBI, 700R4, NP208, 3.73's, 31's
2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie Quad Cab 4x4 short bed, 5.9L V8, Auto, 5 inch lift, 35's, 4.56's