Author Topic: Power Window Motor - Funny Sound  (Read 2408 times)

Offline wkeithwilson@gmail.com

Power Window Motor - Funny Sound
« on: April 04, 2014, 11:18:51 AM »
The power windows in my 85 Silverado I've been working on hadn't worked in quite some time.  I purchased two used doors from an 89 Suburban (I think) to part out.  I took out both motors and tested them by plugging up to my truck.  Both worked fine.  I was able to get my passengers side motor working so I didn't have to replace it.  However, I never could get my drivers side to work, so I took one of the motors, and installed it (used the entire assembly from part door - i.e. I didn't put the motor on the existing regulator, but totally replaced).  After putting the glass back in and replacing the vent windows (parts from the used doors I bought), it still works, but makes a noise about half way up and half way down.  What I mean by that is it starts making the noise about half way in both directions, then stops.  The noise sounds like a rusty spring, so I took the motor back out, made sure the spring was well lubricated, tested it (no noise), then put it back in.  The sound still happens.  Other than the sound, the motor works fine.

I took out most of the weather stripping, and haven't put new in yet, if that matters.  I also closely inspected to make sure the window was staying in the tracks and rails on the way up and down.  I also made sure the regulator was staying in it's tracks.  All of that looks fine.  For the life of me, I can't figure out the motor noise.  The only thing I can say for sure is that when it's not installed and there is no weight on the regulator, the noise doesn't happen.  When I install it and leave the window out, no noise.  However, when I put the window in and there's a little weight on the motor, the noise happens.

Anyone experience this?  Any ideas?  Could it be something inside the motor......meaning it might not be working for long?

Offline LTZ C20

• "I'm here for a good time" -George Strait
Power Window Motor - Funny Sound
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2014, 11:57:57 AM »
Sounds like you covered most of the bases. It could be that the motor is just noisy. Sometimes parts will do that. They might work fine and properly but they are noisy. Usually replacement is the answer unless you can find out why and repair it. It's possible that maybe the parts inside are all dry and rubbing together or there is a rough spot on some of the internals. I'm sure others will chime in. With that you can live with the noise or replace the motor. Unless you really wanna attempt taking it part.
LTZ Cheyenne C20