Author Topic: Adding power windows and door locks question  (Read 10554 times)

Offline TerryY

• Old Fart
Adding power windows and door locks question
« on: March 04, 2015, 01:26:27 AM »
Does anyone know how much if any of the electric window and lock wiring is present in the cab on a non electric window truck?

I have gotten used to the BMW theory of using a single full harness for all cars with all of the potential options pre-wired to connectors whether installed or not. I hope GM did at least some of that instead of adding extra harnesses for options but will be ok either way.
77 GMC Motor home 455 Olds Tornado driveline
83 Chevy Van 6.2 Diesel  700r4
85 GMC K3500 454 4 speed GV overdrive
Plus more

Offline zieg85

• Global Moderator
    • 73-87 GM squarebody extended cab and conversions up to 91 R/V series
Re: Adding power windows and door locks question
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 08:40:58 AM »
There is a separate harness for the power windows/locks option.  I've removed a set and after several cuts (luckily non required stitches) my truck will stay with manual.  To do it right the fenders have to be removed.  To me it isn't worth it and after having several I will stay with the crank handles
Carl 
1985 C20 Scottsdale 7.4L 4 speed 3.21
1986 C10 under construction
https://www.facebook.com/groups/248658382003506/

Offline 78BIG-TEN

• Frequent Member
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2015, 01:02:17 PM »
I think the harness is actually 3 sections,1 for each door and 1 that goes across the dash.You can use regulators for the doors from Suburbans also,but the master (left) switch needs to be pickupIf yoy have stereo speakers in the front lower part of the doors then the factory regulators may not work because that's where the window motor is located.I went with aftermarket regulators that put the motor up higher in the door.Door locks could also be included with the window harnesses

Offline craleigh

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2015, 04:59:13 PM »

Doesn't look like the question was answered and I have the same one ...  I have oem power windows.  My '87 came w/o power door locks which I'd like to add.  I finally located the longer pdl rods (not easy!) and have new actuators and switches.  I can't access the truck right now, do I need anything else to install?  My biggest question is wiring and whether I need a separate harness.  Thanks!

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2015, 06:09:02 PM »
The factory system is poorly designed and you are better off with an aftermarket system. Chris will have to chime in as to the wiring harness for this kit http://store.73-87chevytrucks.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=7&Product_Code=GM01-K&Category_Code=7T

As far as factory harness is concerned, It's plug n play as long as it's complete
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline craleigh

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2015, 07:31:12 PM »

Thanks, so you're saying if it has oem power windows than it should have the wiring and pigtails for the power door locks as well on an '87?  I don't have access to the truck now (where I am) and hope to gather everything I need before traveling 250+ miles to it.

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2015, 08:44:49 PM »
You could get power windows and manual locks so it is not guaranteed that the lock wiring will be in there unless it already had locks.

The wiring kit for those power window are a mimic of the factory setup.

Offline LTZ C20

• "I'm here for a good time" -George Strait
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2015, 10:46:01 PM »
I would just like to throw this out there, I installed the factory power window & lock components from an 85 silverado into my 73 Cheyenne. I used everything: lock rods, actuators, window motors & regulators, wiring harnesses & switches & relays, even the rubber pass thru's from the door to cab body. Everything fit together great and works great. Now that it's paired up with my viper alarm/keyless entry system, it's like having the convenience of remote locks like a newer vehicle in a 40 somethin year old truck. Note: the doors on my truck are from my old parts 79 truck and I'm using the 79 door panels.
LTZ Cheyenne C20