Author Topic: Window regulator adjustment? Or, motor gear to regulator gear alignment?  (Read 5245 times)

Offline 6wt

84 c10 silverado / power windows:

My drivers door power window does not go up the last 4" of travel to completely close the window.  It stops moving up and i hear the window motor whirl.  Visually looking down inside the window channel, it appears the motor gear has lost contact with the regulator?  (i am not sure i am labeling the parts correctly).  At this point i can lower the window to the bottom successfully, as well as raise it back to the same point within 4" of closing the window successfully with the power window motor.

To get the window to close the last 4" i have to pull the window glass up by hand 2", run the window motor up (it just whirls), then raise the glass up by hand the remaining 2" to close the window.

To get the window to open from a fully closed or raised position, i first have to pull the window glass down by hand 2-4".  Then i can use the power window motor to lower the window completely.  If i first try to lower the window without manually pulling it down 2-4" i will hear the window motor whirl.

How do i fix this?  Is it an adjustment?  The door panel is off, the window rollers appear to be rolling in the track appropriately, i do not find any loose parts.

Thanks in advance.

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
Sounds like the teeth on the regulator are worn down.  to fix that, you need a whole new regulator.

Offline roundhouse

Sounds like its missing a tooth or two

Find a good used one

The new ones made in china are typical Chinese crap

Good news is that 99% of the time it's the drivers side that's broken

Be careful taking it out of the door

Find some good instructions
The spring has a lot of power and can amputate a finger if you do it wrong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline LTZ C20

• "I'm here for a good time" -George Strait
When you do remove the regulator, it's best to remove it with the motor still bolted on, then put a large C-clamp or clamp that will hold substantial force, unbolt the motor. Then slowly and carefully remove the clamp, as to not chop off a finger!
LTZ Cheyenne C20

Offline 6wt

Thank you to everyone for assistance.  I researched this section and prior threads to understand how to remove the regulator / motor unit.  Collecting several threads i merged them into one instruction sheet at the computer prior to going to work on my c10.  WOW!  I had the window and regulator / motor out in 20 minutes flat!!  The one comment not included in the instructions was a) which way to rotate the glass 90degrees for removal, and  b) which side of the rear channel support to work with the glass.  For me, moving the glass to the outside, ie towards the outer door skin, provided the most room to rotate the glass and it slides right out.

Continuing to follow the directions, i tested the unit at the door with power to visually see what was happening.  Oh, a two inch section of regulator teeth were missing, ie. ground down, from the motor gear.  At the workbench with the regulator in a vise as instructed, i noticed a missing bolt on the motor support bracket, there was a missing bolt on the regulator frame, and a missing nut holding the regulator to the door.  All enough to allow room for the motor gear to become disengaged with the regulator gear.

My motor support bracket was riveted to the regulator so i drilled out the rivets and replaced with machine bolts and nuts.  Again, as instructed.

The one thing i did notice in close examination is one of the support brackets bolts required a minor reduction in length to prevent it from bottoming out on the regulator gear which would have probably caused the gears to bind and self-destruct over time.

Everything reassembled, tested, works like a new window!

Thanks again.

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
excellent.  Glad you got it figured out. I roll the glass to the outside as you did when I pull them out.

Offline LTZ C20

• "I'm here for a good time" -George Strait
Good to hear, nice job!
LTZ Cheyenne C20

Offline jim.clark.52687506

I am fixing to attempt to replace both of mine how would a guy get a copy of all those articles you put together? is that something you could email?
Bone stock 84 K25 daily driver (on weekends)