Author Topic: 87 Chevy pickup passenger window stopped working  (Read 4151 times)

Offline 87 K20

87 Chevy pickup passenger window stopped working
« on: March 17, 2016, 11:32:37 PM »
So I've been messing with my windows and locks...everything was working great, except when I pulled the driver door panel off to fix a loose connector at the power lock actuator, now the passenger side window will not go up from the driver or passenger switch....I can just hear it clicking Driver window works.  Thoughts on what could cause this?  I'm leaning toward something with the driver switch...also at some point, someone wired in doors from an 87 suburban...since I can't find new replacement pigtails for an 87 suburban master window switch, would I be able to buy a new pigtail for a 2 door pickup and just wire up the wires I need, and cap off the others?  Or will that screw everything up?

Thanks in advance

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
Re: 87 Chevy pickup passenger window stopped working
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2016, 12:22:47 AM »
...I can just hear it clicking....

What do you mean by this?  What is clicking?

Read through  Help Needed: New window motor and switch only goes one way

If the symptoms began with pulling the left door panel, the problem could be a faulty connection to the left switch or a broken wire (which generally occurs where the wires pass through the rubber conduit between the door and jamb).
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline 87 K20

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2016, 06:38:37 AM »
Ok I'll read through it...what I mean by clicking is that is that when I hit the switch in either side, there is a little sound at the motor...almost sounds like it wants to go, but then nothing.  It's gotta be something in the driver door area though since that is all I messed with, and like I said, it was working fine before that.  Thanks

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2016, 08:09:22 AM »
Begin by checking the pigtail connection to the left switch, then check the voltage at the motor while flipping the switches.  The motor maybe bad.  The switches reverse the polarity on the two motor wires to raise and lower.  If the voltage is low, perform voltage drop tests across the circuit breaker, harness and switches to determine whether the circuit breaker, motor, switches or wiring is at fault.  Low voltage will damage a motor.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline 87 K20

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2016, 03:48:28 PM »
Thank you for the replies...the driver side switch has been giving me a little bit of trouble lately ( working intermittently sometimes on both windows), so I went ahead and ordered a new driver side pigtail and switch...I'm hoping that is the problem since like I said, it was working perfectly, and then after I removed and reinstalled the door panel, it stopped working.  The motor was showing no signs of slowing down before this, and before I replaced the motor originally, i was getting 12 volts at the motor in the ACC position, and over 14 volts when the truck was running.  If the new switch and pigtail don't fix it, I'll start looking into those other things.

Thanks!!

Offline 87 K20

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2016, 10:31:51 PM »
Ok so it's time to do the other tests :(. New pigtail and switch...same problem.  Weird thing is, after I posted this, I went out the next day and the passenger window was working perfectly!  That lasted for a couple of days, then it stopped.