Author Topic: bucket seats from bench seat  (Read 22107 times)

Offline ucstepside

bucket seats from bench seat
« on: October 28, 2008, 11:05:08 AM »
newbie here....I have a 78 stepside with a bench seat. What's a simple way to install buckets seat in it. I have buckets from olds aurora found in junk yard for a good price.
thanks

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
Re: bucket seats from bench seat
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008, 11:38:33 AM »
There is no simple way to install seats out of another vehicle into a pickup.  You are looking at fabricating a mounting system for it to sit on.

If you want a simple way to install buckets, get some out of a late model suburban, they basically bolt in.

Offline 80stepsideguy

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2008, 11:58:05 AM »
I bought some seats from a late 70s truck/blazer and threw the seats out but kept all the factory seat tracks and bracketry from them.I`m going to be using beretta GTZ bucket seats on them.Just gotta modify the seat frames to match up with the seat tracks and they should bolt in and fit perfectly to the stock location w/o having to modify the floor to make them fit.

thanks
pat
1980 Chevy c10 restomod:  350/700r4 12 bolt 3.73 rearend iris blue metallic
1998 Chevy 1500 S/B 2wd
1970 cougar convertible: triple white 1 of 1
2014 Hyundai Tucson Limited(my daily driver)
2023 Kia Sportage X Pro (her daily driver).
2017 Hyundai Tucson Limited(her everyday driver).

Offline SUX2BU99

• My Cardomain Site. Truck is on Page 6.
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2008, 12:13:30 PM »
I put in buckets from a late model S-series Blazer. I used the rear outer mounting holes to line up with the rear outer holes of the bench seat in the truck floor as my reference point. I had to drill 3 more holes per seat and used grade 8 bolts and washers, lock washers and nuts to secure them. The front inner mounts were the most work. My drivers side I cut a piece of square tubing to use as a spacer between the floor and seat bolt hole. The passenger side i had to fab up a piece of flat bar to connect the stock bench seat bolt hole to where the bucket seat bolt hole is. This was because of the gas tank being in the way of accessing any kind of nut or bolt head from underneath. The one thing I have to improve upon is the bolts and nuts system. I basically want the nuts underneath the truck welded to the floor so that I don't have to crawl underneath everytime I want to take the seats out. I was thinking a piece of solid 1.5"x1/2" square stock tapped for the thread of the bolts welded to the floor would do the truck.
85 Chevy Silverado C10 short, wide, yellow, 2wd. Lowered, 60-over 350 with Dart Iron Eagle heads and Comp Cams XE268 cam, TH350 w/ shift kit, 3.40 Gov-lok 12 bolt.

Offline GoatBeard

• Frequent Member
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2008, 02:32:45 PM »
You can buy some brackets from Corbeau, but they aren't cheap and probably aren't guarenteed to fit....  Or you use their bracket pictures as kind-of a guide to make your own.

http://www.corbeau.com/corbeau/seat_brackets/

Offline Skunksmash

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2008, 07:20:20 AM »
Now when yall say "late model" suburban/blazer, can you specify exactly what year model's bucket seats will fit in our trucks? Say, from 19XX-19XX. That would help me out a lot as i am still looking for a good pair of buckets with center console. I am looking for bolt ins, no cutting/welding.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 07:24:24 AM by Skunksmash »

Offline JJSZABO

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2008, 08:39:44 AM »
From what I understand, up till 1991 Burbs and Blazers.
Jeff

86 Chevy C-10
350, TH400
Ex father and son project (son lost interest)

Son regained interest when truck was almost completed

Offline Captkaos

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2008, 10:20:45 AM »
Now when yall say "late model" suburban/blazer, can you specify exactly what year model's bucket seats will fit in our trucks? Say, from 19XX-19XX. That would help me out a lot as i am still looking for a good pair of buckets with center console. I am looking for bolt ins, no cutting/welding.

We went through this already on here, infact you are the one that asked the question in the first post.
http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php?topic=9428.0

http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php?topic=9300.0
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 10:23:17 AM by Captkaos »

Offline Skunksmash

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2008, 04:16:28 AM »
Well when he said late model, so i was thinking from 1999 to 2008. Thought there just might be (however unlikely) something from those years.

Offline Captkaos

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2008, 05:08:21 PM »
Negative, not bolt in.  I am the one that said late model suburban.  If you want anything else to fit other than what is listed here, it will require bracket fabrication.

Offline Dragon

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2008, 10:53:50 AM »
I have buckets from olds aurora found in junk yard for a good price.
thanks
This is the part that will give you the Most Complications......  The Olds Aurora, and similar models are Front Wheel Drive Platforms, which basically means that the cars floorboards are of a fairly flat design(Aside from some structural supports, and an shallow exhaust tunnel).... To be able to mount in a different vehicle, chances are you will have to fabricate either adapter brackets to use the Donor Cars Rails, or Modify the seat assemblies to use Factory Rails for a models similar to your truck(Ie Blazer/Suburban Pieces like Chris suggested)....  Generally the amount of time & work needed to mount said seats into a Non-FWD Vehicle, kind of makes any bargain seats not worth the effort....
Dragon
08 Magnum-New Toy
96 Caprice 9C1-Who Knows
96 GMC ECLWB & 92 Chevy ECLWB
77 GMC K25 HS-Gone but Not Forgotten

Offline 82K10WI

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2008, 11:04:06 AM »
i just put buckets in my other truck. (82 custom deluxe). and yes brackets was the problem i just made mine from steel flat bar and a mig welder. my buckets are out of a late seventies mustang. the moontes really fit pretty close accept the front inner mount. i had to make a support or spacer peice. good luck

Offline Dragon

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2008, 02:00:45 PM »
Aside from a FWD Car, alot of Mid-Size to Large Coupe & Sedans will fit, if you swap over the rails for the ones that are supposed to be in your Model Truck, but again that is usually within your time frame(Ie Most '67-91's Should Work, but Newer Years you will likely run into a bit of a snag. In some cases you can get away with just drilling new holes in the seat frame, other cases you may need to fabricate Brackets/Adapters).....
Dragon
08 Magnum-New Toy
96 Caprice 9C1-Who Knows
96 GMC ECLWB & 92 Chevy ECLWB
77 GMC K25 HS-Gone but Not Forgotten

Offline ucstepside

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2008, 09:02:39 PM »
Good news....i found bucket seat tracks from a 79 suburban from local junk yard. I cut out the inside mounting brackets like chris posted on previous reply..thanks for the suggestions. 

Offline Captkaos

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2008, 11:35:06 PM »
Show us what you got when you get them put in.  Take some pics and I will make it a tech article.