Author Topic: Rear end clunk  (Read 3739 times)

Offline 85silverado031490

• 1985 C10 LWB Daily
Rear end clunk
« on: September 01, 2013, 10:21:04 AM »
Hey guys, i have an 85 c10 lwb and the previous owner had a 4" drive shaft custom built for the truck because i guess he thought it was necessary, any ways when im putting it from park to reverse or drive or neutral i always get a pop or clunk from the rear end no matter what, and when downshifting from 3rd to 2nd or 2nd 1st i have a small one as well; the pinion yoke will move side to side and up and down a small amount do i know that the bearing preload is not correct or completely nonexistent and that that would cause the gear mesh to be incorrect. My question is should i just replace the inner and outer pinion bearings and reset the crush sleeve and preload or go through the whole rear axle? Keep in mind that i am planning to switch out the stock le9 305 motor and install a mild 350 in place. I feel like the huge rotating mass of the heavy drive shaft is what killed the bearings in it, and i believe its the standard rear axle which is a 3.08 and i would like to switch the gears to a 3.73 or something a little smaller than that. If anyone has any insight as to this please let me know cause its driving me absolutely insane.  J.S.
> I Luv It <

Offline Powerdriver1958

• Kids Mechanic
Re: Rear end clunk
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2013, 10:42:19 AM »
1st the step From 3:08 to 3:73 is a big one . 3:73 gears seem to leave me with a cruise rpm of 2,500 to 2,700 . Not fuel mileage friendly .

On 2 different trucks I found the spider and side gears to have a lot of wear and that was the cause . If you have any drive line problems at all that's where I would start ( 1st cheapest is generally where I start :) )
I Have My Grand Daughter Exactly Where She wants Me

Offline 85silverado031490

• 1985 C10 LWB Daily
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2013, 12:50:53 PM »
Ok I got ya on that, I guess the best thing to do is open up the rear axle and look at what I may or may not still have , ugh, heres a second one . Drivers side lower ball joint is spinning inside the control arm when I turn the wheel, ok so I was gonna buy new oem replacement arms from like dorman or somebody,  nope , the only options I see are on summit racing and they are all lower arms with a 3 inch drop for use with the stock coils, I have 32 by 11.50 by 15 inch tires coming this week for this truck and I am not gonna give up my tires because of this,so what in the world am I supposed to do? I know moot offers some specific ball joints that are a few thousands bigger as an option but I don't know if there are any for my application. Or should I just replace the lowers with moogs And see if they go bad again?
> I Luv It <

Offline Powerdriver1958

• Kids Mechanic
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2013, 01:06:27 PM »
Salvage yard is next or it would be for me . I wouldn't take a chance on the control arm . Replace it , stuff a new ball joint in the salvage yard one .
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 01:09:11 PM by Powerdriver1958 »
I Have My Grand Daughter Exactly Where She wants Me

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2013, 02:23:42 PM »
1985 C10 ... Drivers side lower ball joint is spinning inside the control arm when I turn the wheel, ok so I was gonna buy new oem replacement arms from like dorman or somebody,  nope , the only options I see are on summit racing and they are all lower arms with a 3 inch drop for use with the stock coils, I have 32 by 11.50 by 15 inch tires coming this week for this truck and I am not gonna give up my tires because of this,so what in the world am I supposed to do? I know moot offers some specific ball joints that are a few thousands bigger as an option but I don't know if there are any for my application. Or should I just replace the lowers with moogs And see if they go bad again?

Napa - complete left lower control arm
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline Fairlane514

• Frequent Member
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2013, 02:59:47 PM »
The way you describe your rear end, it should be whining a lot.....is it?