Author Topic: Need advice for 87 TBI Motor  (Read 2624 times)

Offline RustyBowtie

• New Users
Need advice for 87 TBI Motor
« on: April 09, 2011, 05:04:28 PM »
I'm trying to add some more pep to my 87 4x4, kind of on a budget right now and can't afford aluminum heads with 2.02 1.60's... but im doing the best with what I've got.
So my questions are, if i remove the egr bs and put a new set of longtube headers on the truck will it throw any codes or make it run and worse?
And what is the best road to go down for getting some heads? Like I said i can't get brand new fancy aluminum heads, but I've heard vortec heads work well, any input on that?
Also I've decided on just a plain RV cam, its not a race truck so this cam should work well for me right?

And somewhere down the road I plan on getting a rebuilt throttle body off of ebay, bored to 46mm, bigger injectors (454?) bigger fuel pump, fuel regulator sping and a custom burned chip.

Does this sound like I'm going in the right direction? Sorry I'm new to this kind of motor, used to working on old carbourated motors where you just bolt stuff on and go with it.
Anyone with any kind of experience with these motors feel free to chime in.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Re: Need advice for 87 TBI Motor
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 06:13:44 PM »
Not really,

As far as the cam - the term RV cam is thrown around way too much. How about the specs on the cam? Taking out the EGR system will gain nothing and yes it will set a DTC. You'd accomplish the exact same thing as removing it by unplugging it. Exhaust, a chip and a new ignition system will make a big difference. What size tires are you running and what gear ratio?
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline topp

• Frequent Member
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 06:16:35 PM »
Removing EGR will throw codes.  And for TBI (A hotter running engine) I'd leave the EGR as it cools the Head temps.  It is not a "big performance stealer" either.

Unless those heads you are looking at, come with a matched intake for TBI, they will not do much.
Headers will help, but the main issue with TBI is the restrictive top end of the engine.  The TBI itself is restrictive, as is the intake and the heads.

If you buy the bigger TBI, you need to have your intake bored for the bigger TBI.

Cam choice is also limited as the computer does not adapt well, but you can also look at TBIChips.com
'90 Suburban TBI 350

Offline RustyBowtie

• New Users
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 11:37:52 PM »
so basically I should just ditch this piece of shoot motor and put something else in it?

Offline topp

• Frequent Member
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 07:53:46 AM »
TBI gets better mileage than carb.  It also will not starve for fuel on steep inclines (offroading).
There are websites that make "tuned" chips for TBI and many many mods for it, but you can not just slap this that and the other on the same way as you can with a carb.

There are many reasons to keep TBI, but if you are looking for 500HP and 5MPG, you can ditch it.
'90 Suburban TBI 350