Author Topic: roller cam lifter valley  (Read 9522 times)

Offline HAULIN IT

Re: roller cam lifter valley
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2014, 09:22:39 PM »
I guess it depends on which boss it was. If it was the center one, I don't think it would have hurt anything leaving it out. One of the ends...I guess it could bonce up & down some & likely crack the spider in time. As far as "making the rockers come loose or the lifter to rotate". I wouldn't see either of those likely to happen as mentioned, there is no real pressure on the spider & one lifter can't turn unless the bridge was off.
Can we assume you have been running this engine for the past couple years & now have this problem or have you just recently got this thing going from the incident back in 2011?
Do you know for a fact the cam is destroyed or are you asking/guessing this may be a problem?

Offline 305chevy c-10

• Frequent Member
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2014, 10:19:36 PM »
I just got motor finished and put in a week ago .it was built july of last year and stored in a bag .the rockers were tighten one cylinder at a time with lifter on base of cam .after couple of days just cranking motor .the roller rocker were back loose .(stamped steel roller tip non self aligning with guide plates ).had not taken it out for drive because of this issue .new 3.73 gears ,shift kit and 2800 stall .realy want to see it it was all worth the wait .my rockers have nuts on them i was thinking of using loc tite or buying poly locks .any suggestions
Heartbeat of America yesterday's cheverolet
18T5C10

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2014, 08:48:21 AM »
The retainer is required to keep the roller lifter inline with the cam lobe
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline thefarmboy21

• Registered Users
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2014, 07:36:20 AM »
To weld cast you use Nickel rods*
Clean it up with grinder and brake clean, heat it, weld it, then immediately peen it (tap it rapidly and lightly with a hammer OR use a needle gun)

If it breaks, your retainers could come lose. IF they do then the lifters could rotate and cause problems

If you're too worried you could shell out the $$$ for a regular set of roller lifters with the bar straps.
AMSOIL DEALER # 5583011
86 Chevy K20 Custom Deluxe-Grandpa bought it new 11/20/85
77 Chevy K10 Custom Deluxe-Dad's first truck
69 Chevy C30 flatbed-Grandpa's farm truck
1950 International L-112-Grandpa bought it new, parked in 1963