Recent Posts

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
Engine/Drivetrain / Transmission cooling lines in new aluminum radiator
« Last post by JohnnyPopper on April 22, 2024, 07:29:47 PM »
In replacing my radiator, I noticed the tank fittings were 1/2 inch instead of 5/8, looking inside, the opening was roughly 1/4 inch diameter.

I called the distributor, was told not to worry, aluminum is more efficient at cooling. So much for a 'factory fit' replacement.

The transmission is a '66 GM THD 425, and the cooling lines are definitely a higher capacity.

I thought I could laser measure the temp after a run to see if the trans is running hotter then the engine by a significant percentage.

Being ignorant of transmission design, I don't know if this obvious restriction is severe, or if the 'flow volume' of oil is not that great.

It's not that there are load issues.

The question is: should I worry? and/or add an outboard cooler, bypassing the wimpy one?

As always, thanks in advance for you help!

Engine/Drivetrain / Re: No vac dizzy
« Last post by bd on April 22, 2024, 07:23:01 PM »
Dem little green leaves in dem dizzy tachos aint cilantro, my friend!!   WooHoo!!!    ;D
« Last post by JohnnyPopper on April 22, 2024, 06:57:09 PM »
Sounds like your tacho is dizzy  8)
Instrumentation / Re: Tachometer for 81 Chevy k10
« Last post by VileZambonie on April 22, 2024, 03:35:43 PM »
What do you have for factory gauges?
« Last post by Mike81K10 on April 22, 2024, 02:28:51 PM »
Replace the old leads one at a time with the Accel leads. When it starts acting up - you will know which is bad. Could just be a bad crimp!
« Last post by Chevygold on April 22, 2024, 05:18:32 AM »
Fired up the truck on the old home made Chinese plug leads and all was good so then I decided I'd fit the Accel leads that came with the MSD and now my tacho is dancing all over where with the old leads it was steady, seems to steady up once the revs get up a bit but at idle it's crazy!

Graham
General Discussion / Re: users handbook
« Last post by Chevygold on April 22, 2024, 05:00:47 AM »
Hi Vile yes I'm aware of that in fact I bought one a few years ago for my Corvette but with the exchange rate the way it is just now with the shipping etc. it makes them quite expensive to the UK. I did buy a used shop manual at a good price a while back but still use the online version from this site for quick reference or if I want to print off a couple of pages to take to the truck when working. so wondered if there were any handbooks tucked away somewhere?

Graham
Instrumentation / Tachometer for 81 Chevy k10
« Last post by Mike81K10 on April 21, 2024, 11:16:10 PM »
I don't have a tac in my truck, guess some came with it. Any recommendations for installing an after market tac.
General Discussion / Re: users handbook
« Last post by VileZambonie on April 21, 2024, 05:22:11 PM »
Owners manuals are not but they are reproduced and can be purchased rather inexpensively.
Engine/Drivetrain / Re: 357 (350 - .40 Over) Build Questions Etc
« Last post by VileZambonie on April 21, 2024, 12:14:01 PM »
With the quality of things these days you're better off. Plus you can say built, not bought.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10