Author Topic: God old New Hampshaa Ice Storm  (Read 18578 times)

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
God old New Hampshaa Ice Storm
« on: December 13, 2008, 01:45:26 PM »
Going on 40 hours without power here. They are saying it could be another couple days. Got the generator running. Heat with wood so its no biggie. Just a pain having to fill the gas etc.
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

Offline joesgarage71

• Wrench
Re: God old New Hampshaa Ice Storm
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2008, 03:33:20 PM »
 The old lady said earlier that some folks in Massatwoshits were out of power. I wondered if if affected you up there.
78' K-20 355/SM465/twin stick 205 6" on 36's
14 bolt FF/big bearing Dana 44 4.56 gears

92' GMC C-1500 454/4L80E/14 bolt

Offline 69byrd

• Haulin!
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2008, 04:15:52 PM »
Going on 40 hours without power here. They are saying it could be another couple days. Got the generator running. Heat with wood so its no biggie. Just a pain having to fill the gas etc.

Sorry to hear that I know it sucks to be with out power. We had the same problem here when I was young we were with out power for five days.  Atleast you heat with wood, mabye it wont be much longer.
84 C-10 Stepside       
54 Chevy Truck
Gotta Love Those Stepsides!
http://s493.photobucket.com/albums/rr299/69byrd/?start=all

Offline choptop

• Extended cab fanatic
    • conversiontrucks
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2008, 06:09:17 PM »
At least you have a generator. I work on gesets for a living, but mostly industrial/commercial. Not much use for residentual here. Hope things turn around soon for ya.
76 C10 Choptop,76 C10 Swb
85 C10, 85 K10, 85 K20,86 C10,86 K10 (all extended cabs)
86 C30 extended crewcab

Offline Donut

• Frequent Member
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2008, 07:37:23 PM »
Ya, the news showed you guys getting hammered.  We lost our power for about 30 hours, came back on about 4 hours after I bought a generator. 
Take care.  Hopefully the tree and power crews get the power back quick.
'73 Chevy K-20 ***SOLD***
350/tbh350/np205
My plow was half price if i took the truck with it.

'86 C-30 dually, 454/tbh400

Offline 80stepsideguy

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2008, 10:35:34 PM »
I am headed up that way this friday for 8 days to visit family and friends, hopefully when i`m up there nothing like that happens.Maybe me bringing some of the southeast warmpth will thaw some of that crap out by the time i leave.. lol... j/k

thanks
pat
1980 Chevy c10 restomod:  350/700r4 12 bolt 3.73 rearend iris blue metallic
1998 Chevy 1500 S/B 2wd
1970 cougar convertible: triple white 1 of 1
2014 Hyundai Tucson Limited(my daily driver)
2023 Kia Sportage X Pro (her daily driver).
2017 Hyundai Tucson Limited(her everyday driver).

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2008, 02:03:58 AM »
They say it might be as long as Wed. before we see power. Approx. 350,000 out of power at the peak. Plus tonight PSHN, ( Largest elec. co. in the state ) had a fire at one of there main stations!
 Yep woke up Fri. morning no power and over 2' of water in my basement. Set up the gen and sump pumps. Went out to sand etc. the heater core started leaking all over the floor in the 1 ton!
 Of course I bought the generator last spring. I never got around to installing the  switch at the main panel. So for now I am back feeding power into the 220 dryer outlet. 9000 watt gen so it runs the whole house, as long as I don't use every electrical thing at one time.
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

Offline choptop

• Extended cab fanatic
    • conversiontrucks
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2008, 07:55:40 AM »
They say it might be as long as Wed. before we see power. Approx. 350,000 out of power at the peak. Plus tonight PSHN, ( Largest elec. co. in the state ) had a fire at one of there main stations!
 Yep woke up Fri. morning no power and over 2' of water in my basement. Set up the gen and sump pumps. Went out to sand etc. the heater core started leaking all over the floor in the 1 ton!
 Of course I bought the generator last spring. I never got around to installing the  switch at the main panel. So for now I am back feeding power into the 220 dryer outlet. 9000 watt gen so it runs the whole house, as long as I don't use every electrical thing at one time.

I am sorry if asking this question offends you, but you do have the main breaker turned off right? I am sure you do, but I know tht in an emergency situation, little things get over looked, and if its on and the power comes back.......it can get ugly. You guys probably have alot of experience with generators up there where the power outages are norm, youd be suprised the stupidity I see here on a regular basis. Well, it's not all stupidity, just lack of knowledge. Had a guy rewire the lights in his house to 220vac because someone told him it used less electricity( for those of you who have heard this before, it is false. You pay for kilowatts used, and it takes thesame kilowatts to do cetain things whether it is 120 or 220.) Anyway, he didnt realize that it was as easy as just moving the original neutral wire to a hot leg, and flipping a switch. He almost burnt the house down. I went over to inspect later. 120 volt bulbs can explode when 220 is applied, and when wiring burns rapidly, it leaves neat looking designs inthe wood of attics and walls.
76 C10 Choptop,76 C10 Swb
85 C10, 85 K10, 85 K20,86 C10,86 K10 (all extended cabs)
86 C30 extended crewcab

Offline JJSZABO

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2008, 09:51:33 AM »
WOW  What some people do - it's scarry sometimes.

You still cannot get around Watts = volts x amps.

Running things a 220 reduces the load on the wires by half but still uses the same amount of electricity.

I like equating electricity to water hydraulics.  Running one 2 1/2 inch hose to flow 500gpm is VEERY innefecient if not close to impossible (high friction loss).  But running two 21/2 inch hoses to flow the same 500 gpm is very efficient with acceptable friction losses.

Anyway,

Harold, is there much damage to your basement?  Is it finished?  My biggest fear is getting alot of rain and we lose power and the finished basement floods because the sump pump can't run.  I feel your pain.
Jeff

86 Chevy C-10
350, TH400
Ex father and son project (son lost interest)

Son regained interest when truck was almost completed

Offline Lt.Del

• Andy aka:SgtDel
  • DelbridgePhotography.com
    • www.delbridge.net
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2008, 09:58:15 AM »
Don't make the same mistake I made by having the generator power all my lights, and I live at the end of my street. The electric worker saw that I had lights and moved on the next circuit.  The houses two down from me and further down are on a different circuit.  The guy saw I had lights and disregarded working on my circuit.

Well, this was right after huricane Gaston came through dumping 17 inches of rain and knocking down powerlines, blowing transformers, etc..needless to say, my neighbors got their power back in two days.  mine was out for 10 days.   All because I had a generator.

Anyway, as for pulling the main switch or breaker for the main feed---it is a must!  They say your generator can back feed to the electric lines and electrocute power workers.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 10:02:35 AM by SgtDel »

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2008, 10:01:21 AM »
Yep got that covered. Have completely wired a several houses, and a few garages. Got power back this morning. The basement is not finished. It is a hand dug rock basement. Has only had a concrete floor for about 6 years. The furnace has some issues but nothing that cant be fixed. Have hot water just not zones for heat.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 10:04:18 AM by Blazin »

Offline JJSZABO

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2008, 10:10:36 AM »
Well that's good news.  Now on to the heater core?  I am going out to work on the wiper motor.

It's 32 degrees and 10 to 15mph winds >:(
Jeff

86 Chevy C-10
350, TH400
Ex father and son project (son lost interest)

Son regained interest when truck was almost completed

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2008, 10:38:46 AM »
It's pretty darn cold here too and my boiler blew up Friday night. My buddy came over and we fixed it yesterday but that was a mess. My house was an ice cube and I had no hot water. I took an ice cold shower. brr Running good now!

I still need to wire up my generator so when the time comes I can run my boiler, well pump, and some essentials. Losing power flat out sucks. I feel your pain

As far as people thinking higher voltage uses less electricity they're just confusing efficiency in AC motors. When voltage is increased amperage is increased proportionally according to ohms law and any circuit calculation. And yes volts x amps = watts. However when an electric motor for example needs a certain amount of power the load requirement must be met. If your motor uses 3000 watts and you have a 100 volt source 100 volts x 30 amps= 3000 watts. If you increase the voltage to 200 volt source with the same 3000 watt motor 200 volts x 15 amps = 3000 watts. Therefore you are using less current. Most electric company's charge by the kw/hour
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline bigkountry

• Frequent Member
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2008, 11:05:33 AM »
Weather is screwy here.

In the low 60's today in KY....freezing rain moving in by morning, followed by 3 days of flurries.. ???
81 Scottsdale K10 "Under construction"

Offline joesgarage71

• Wrench
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2008, 07:56:01 PM »
My biggest fear is getting alot of rain and we lose power and the finished basement floods because the sump pump can't run.  I feel your pain.

If I was you I'd have a generator and a spare sump pump on hand.
78' K-20 355/SM465/twin stick 205 6" on 36's
14 bolt FF/big bearing Dana 44 4.56 gears

92' GMC C-1500 454/4L80E/14 bolt