Author Topic: '78 K15  (Read 1666 times)

Offline Abnrml1

'78 K15
« on: September 28, 2013, 06:03:54 PM »
Just found this site and thought that I could figure out what to do with my truck. I have a '78 K15 and it has a few problems. Other than a massive amount of rust I really like this truck. Here are a few questions that I have.

1. Is there any way of adjusting the steering column? It is not a tilt column. It is very uncomfortable to drive because the steering wheel rides against my stomach. Other than losing another hundred pounds what can I do to fix this?

2. The needle on my gas gauge flies around like a crack head break dancing. It just spins and jumps all over the gauge. I never know how much gas is in the tank. I'm thinking that it may be a ground problem but where do I look? My brother put a new speedo cable on and it has done this since.

3. Has anyone ever used a different kind of heater in their truck. This one doesn't work that good and I was thinking about using one from a newer car or truck. I know that I can get a Mojave heater from Summit but I would rather not spend the $$.

I would appreciate any and all help with this. I was going to get rid of the truck because of the rust and other problems but I think I'll just take my time with it and get it back the way it should be. Thanks again.

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
Re: '78 K15
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2013, 06:15:32 PM »
     First off welcome to the site from California.
     There is no adjustment on the steering wheel as far as pushing it down toward the cab floor without modifications.  I have seen people swap steering columns for different one's that are shorter, but I do not know what type of vehicle they came out of, just seen some at shows.
     I would check the ground on the sending unit itself first for the gas gauge problem.
     Is your heater core going out or partially plugged up ?  Sounds like that may be the problem, my trucks never have had a problem with not being hot enough, even in the mountains in the snow.
     More members will chime in and give you some more idea's.
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline zieg85

• Global Moderator
    • 73-87 GM squarebody extended cab and conversions up to 91 R/V series
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2013, 07:25:27 PM »
Welcome from NW Indiana.  Going to a smaller steering wheel will help and a tilt wheel column is a nice upgrade and will solve the problem.  Our trucks heater will run you out of the cab if the temp. door works and the heater core isn't plugged as Bake suggested.  If your problem with the gas gauge started after a speedo cable repair, check the plug on the back of the housing that snaps in the printed circuit.  Hopefully it is just loose and didn't tear the board.
Carl 
1985 C20 Scottsdale 7.4L 4 speed 3.21
1986 C10 under construction
https://www.facebook.com/groups/248658382003506/

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2013, 11:11:25 PM »
i know on my 79 the vent door on the passengers side wasnt shut (no kick panel)  so cold air would just blow in and cancel and warm air that the heater was warming up. stuffed it with a old shirt for a temp fix.  smaller steering wheel will fix your problem i think any chevy steering wheel will work as long as your"new" wheel doesnt have airbags. 88+ have the nice foam wheel and it should be a couple inches smaller.
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes