Author Topic: help  (Read 3295 times)

j in la

help
« on: February 19, 2002, 10:47:00 PM »
i have an 82 1/2 ton i wrapped around a telephone post a few years ago.my dads freiend painted it after i changed the panels,then i bought a new truck and kept it parked a while.the paint is peeling of the gavanized fenders pretty badly,i know i can take it all off but then what?someone told me vinegar makes the paint and primer stick better any truth to this?should i use any certain primer?i just want to do what i can before i send it to be painted because i really dont think theyll take the time to do it right.also what should i do to prep surface rust for painting.its on the hood it doesnt look bad,it may come off but i havent messed with it yet.thanks for any help.

Offline 73K20

• Registered Users
Re: help
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2002, 09:48:00 AM »
Make sure that you buy a good self etching primer.  This will help alot.  Some rust removers work better than others.  I like to use naval jelly on rust then some type of neutrizer/primer.

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
Re: help
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2002, 10:43:00 PM »
If the paint is flaking you might be able to shave most of it off with a razor scraper. To make the primer and paint stick (if you are going to strip to bare metal) Start with 180 grit paper and scuff the whole surface down. I use Sem self etching primer in a spray bomb. Next I cover that with a high build urethane primer ( I use Marhyde 2K but Dupont makes URO Prime and there are other brands avalible). Scuff that with a sutible grit sand paper for the type of paint you plan to use. Dupont makes a product, If I recal it's # 244. It looks like windsheild washer fluid but it etches the metal. then use the self etch primer. As for the surface rust the same steps apply but after the self etch primer there is a line of products called rust sheild primers paints etc. I have not usded it but plan to soon as I have a loader to paint. I have talked to some guys that have used it and say it works great. Good luck.

Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs