Author Topic: Painting frame and motor  (Read 3593 times)

Offline 81chevy

Painting frame and motor
« on: June 09, 2002, 02:15:00 AM »
Well I have the whole truck stripped doqn to a cab on a frame and I'm going to sandblast the frame this week or next hopefully,  BUT I don't know much about the types of paint on the market,  they all say to stop or prevent rust.   Do any of you guys have any suggestions about the type of primer/rust inhibator to use.   Also what is a good type of paint to use on the motor. Hopefully paint motor orange.  

Thanks
Luke  

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Re: Painting frame and motor
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2002, 05:22:00 AM »
There is stuff called POR15 for your frame, or rust mort. There are other frame paints that will go on like glass, if you have a frame there all cleaned up I'd look into one of the higher end products. Search the web for prices. I have used POR15 and wasn't all that impressed with it, but I wasn't really working with a lot of rust. As far as painting enines goes...I have painted many engines and found that the key is to have the block and heads absolutely clean and dry. If at all possible paint it in the sun too. USE PRIMER if you do, the paint will stay on the engine. When I haven't used primer the paint came off in spots. As far as paints go, I think those high temp paints are a waste of $ and never look as good. I usually buy a qt of rustoleum in the color of choice and thin it so I can spray it with my paint gun. I always end up with the nicest looking engines.

~Captain's Log~

,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
Re: Painting frame and motor
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2002, 09:22:00 PM »
Are you looking for a show shine or just slow down the rust process? There is a product called hammerite that is made by Kilz that works awsome. I have used it as sugested right over rust and it works great. I have also used it over Duponts Variprime and it is rugged stuff, wack it with a waffle head framing hamer and it dosn't chip. You brush it on or you can buy it in spray bomb for more refined finish like radiator suports etc. It has a hamered finish similar to machine shop machines and the like.

Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs