Author Topic: Body  (Read 3317 times)

quicksilver79

Body
« on: June 11, 2002, 10:58:00 PM »
I have a 79 silverado, like most of them I have small rust areas. If I use those patch pieces and bondo,how long will it last if done right? Is it worth the cost and trouble of buying new parts, or searching junk yards? Any advice would be great. Thanks.  

Offline 7680GMC

well...
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2002, 11:40:00 PM »
If done right, it should last years and years with the proper care.  Sometimes, it is just easier, less time consuming, and maybe even less expensive to jsut replace the part rather than repair it.  Other parts, like for the cab, need repair since a replacement cab isnt cheap or practical.  

Another thing...about bondo....I get picky when I have to use bondo.  I dont use "Bondo".  I use All-Metal (i think).  Instead of talc powder, it uses aluminum.  This makes the filler adapt to conditions like your sheet metal.  It also doesn't soak up water like talc based bondo.  Thats one of the reasons bondo products fall off after awhile.  Thats me just being picky though.  Just thought I should share.

quicksilver79

thanks
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2002, 09:36:00 PM »
Thank you very much. I will look for that all metal stuff when I start my project, If that is the way I decide to go. Thanks again.