Author Topic: Sandblasting Question  (Read 4128 times)

Offline 81chevy

Sandblasting Question
« on: June 10, 2002, 09:31:00 PM »
I know this might sound stupid but when I sandblast my frame do I have to take off all the fuel and brake lines?? My worry is about the the thin copper lines,  Rubber is cheap and easy.   I was thinking to do the outside of the frame with the sandblaster and the inside with steel wheel brush,  but I would rather use the sandblaster for everything.

Offline 73K20

• Registered Users
Re: Sandblasting Question
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2002, 08:50:00 AM »
I sandblasted my frame last year.  It is MUCH easier to remove all the lines fuel and brake lines.  If i were you i would take off all existing lines and replace them with new.  And as far as the lines being copper, someone must have replaced them because all factory lines are steel.

1973 K20 - 350/350/205

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2002, 07:58:00 PM »
I agree you should replace them but if they are in good shape (steel) they will survive. If they don't then you know what to replace.

Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

Offline bigblock73

• Yeller
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2002, 07:23:00 AM »
take off the lines...it is easy and will make the frame look sooo much better.  If your lines are in good shape, clean them with steel wool and repaint them to make them look better than new.  This is what i did and I can't tell you how nice it all looks.

Jeff

'73 swb 2wd

73-87.com

Offline 81chevy

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2002, 09:47:00 PM »
what about all the rubber bushings they will survive right or do i have to try and avoid direct contact with them.   Sorry about all the newbie questions
luke

Wife just had a baby boy so the trck has been sandblasted yet,  hopefully this weekend lol.

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2002, 10:56:00 PM »
Congrats. on the baby. Before you know it he will be asking to borow the truck. All the ruber will be fine with the sand blasting. What type of blaster do you have, gravity or presure? How big is your compresor? make sure you cover the power stearing inlet and outlet so as not to get any blast in the box.

Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs