Author Topic: Scottsdale fenders, tailgate and grille  (Read 4534 times)

Offline Timppa

• New Users
Scottsdale fenders, tailgate and grille
« on: May 15, 2002, 03:28:00 PM »
I'm thinking of buying a 1983 Chevy Scottsdale (longbed), it's in rather good condition of it's age and it has a "special" interior and 6,2 liter diesel engine (gas is so da*n expensive in europe)

But this truck has very bad front fenders and tailgate and I don't like the look of 83 front- and rear-ends.
I was thinking that do for example 1980 Scottsdale's front fenders, grille (hood) and tailgate fit just like bolt-on or do they have to be modified?
The tailgate can be from some other year Scottsdale as long as it has the text CHEVROLET on it (written with big pressed letters).
Also the grille should have two headlights and clear lensed turning signals under them.

I've heard that there is a difference between the fenders (and hood?) in cars made before 1981 and cars that are made from 1981 to 1987.
The grille seems to be a bit different in Stepsides, Silverados, Chayennes, and it debends on cars age, Am I correct?

-Timo Sivonen, Finland

Offline 79mc

Re: Scottsdale fenders, tailgate and grille
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2002, 08:36:00 AM »
It's my understanding that you can swap the older parts to the "newer" trucks. I'm pretty sure you have to swap the hood front fenders and inner fenders all to get the parts to fit. Maybe the rad. support also. I have used the older inner fenders with the "newer" fenders and while they worked had to be modified to fit and still did not fit just right.HTH's

DougV>

Offline Timppa

• New Users
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2002, 11:01:00 AM »
Thank you for information.

Offline 73K20

• Registered Users
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2002, 01:28:00 PM »
Heres the deal, The front end off of an older truck will bolt up to your 83.  You will need new everything from the cab forward.  This means the older style hood, fenders, inner fenders, and core support.  There is some work invovled in this swap but it is not difficult, it just takes time.  My truck is 73 so it is the older style, but when i rebuilt it I put on a new cab which was off of an 85.  

Some areas of confict will be with the:
Hood Hinges
Windshield Wipers
Wiring Harnesses

The hood hinges off of the older style mount to the fenders while the newer style mount to the cab.  This is not a problem, you just need to remove the hinges off of the cab and use the fender style hinges.  The wiper linkage will need to be used out of an older truck due to the cowl setup.

1973 K20 - 350/350/205

79Shortbox

Tailgate
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2002, 08:51:00 PM »
Hmm...where are you located? I ehem, may have a lead on a place to get the gate you want...it's in alright shape.

Offline 80scottsdale

grille
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2002, 12:51:00 AM »
i still have the stock grille off my 80 in perfect condition if you are interested.  i put a chrome one on instead