Author Topic: Removing Bed side panels  (Read 16809 times)

Offline archibrat

• New Users
Removing Bed side panels
« on: May 07, 2003, 03:50:00 PM »
I have a 1982 Silverado Fleetside that has a substantial dent in the passenger side bed side panel. The dent is only in the outer panel and does not effect the frame, of inner panel. I have taken the truck to a number of body repair shops and was told I could either have the dent pulled out and Bondoed ($400) or replace the side panel. I would rather replace the side panel than go the Bondo route. Moreover I found a perfect side panel on a 1985 Silverado at my local junk yard (still attached to a truck) for $100 (if I remove it my self). My question is this: How does one remove the side panel from a 82 Silverado Fleetside? Can I just unbolt it or is it welded to the bed frame, wheel housing and bedfloor? Also, is the outer and inner bed side panels separate? In other words, should I even attempt this?

Any knowledge and advise is greatly appreciated.

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
Quater panel
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2003, 05:46:00 AM »
Get under your truck and take a look at the bottom edge of your bed floor where it meets the inside of the quater panel, stick your head in your wheel well and look up, and if you look in between the bed and the cab. You will see a bunch of 1/2" bolt heads. These hold the quater on. inside your fuel filler door there are three 1/4 or 7mm screws that hold the filler hose on. Pop your tail light out and snake the wire harness down through the bottom of the panel. When you open your tailgate, the rear post that it shuts up against at the bottom of that and right behind the hinge there are a few welds but those are the only welds. if the bolts break off in the junk panel its no big deal but you want to have as many as you can come out of the new panel.    

Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs