Author Topic: Great White Buffalow- 84 GMC Crew Cab  (Read 11416 times)

Offline slammed79

• Thou shalt not drive stock
Great White Buffalow- 84 GMC Crew Cab
« on: September 16, 2015, 04:19:01 PM »
I bought this truck last year to drive so I could do some work on my 74 that I was daily driving. I wanted something I could fit my family into comfortably. It was a 45 day old Craigslist ad.  $1300, supposedly 10k miles on a rebuilt 454, supposedly 8k on a rebuilt th400. Body was a little rough, headache rack wrong bumper,  phantom grille. I made a phone call,  left a message.

The next day,  I got a text saying he still had the truck.  I was pulling money together to buy something.  I set up to go look at it for that weekend.  I brought my best friend with me to talk me out of doing anything dumb. 

We got out there,  it fired up smooth,  idled pretty good,  slight exhaust leak the carb needed a rebuild. It shifted smooth the windshield was hosed,  and the interior was hammered.  But the bones were good.  I told him I was pulling the money together and I wanted it. 

The money came,  the truck was there,  I bought it.  I had a huge smile on my face the whole drive home.

I did absolutely nothing to the truck for the first few months except put gas in it and drive it. 

Then... well snowball.  The rubber fuel hoses were garbage,  the feed hose  spilt leaving work one day.  I then redid the rubber hoses from the drivers side tank to the carb. I deleted the passenger side tank.  Then,  oil change and tune up.  The plugs were not 10k plugs. I broke 1 plug,  and three plug wires doing the tune up.  I don't know what the firing order was,  but it wasn't right.  Next,  the passenger side rear window stuck down. And then the steering column broke in the rack area.  I traded a double pumper for a replacement column.  It sat in the truck for a while,  I was getting frustrated of things just keep breaking, I let it sit until the first week of December when my 74 got hit while parked at work. 

I took my anger out that night on the steering column.  I swapped it out, then fired the truck up the next morning.   I drove it for a few weeks, then decided to rebuild the carb.  Much much better.  After all that work,  the big pig was getting 12 mpg on the freeway, and about 9 to ten in town. 

In January I found a good hood and fender on Craigslist for $50. I bought those and swapped them out.  Then I put a windshield and 6 new tires on it after the tread peeled on the passenger rear outer, and with it went the dually fender. 

Fast forward to June.  The seat bracket on the front bench broke,  swapped out for a set of power buckets from a 96 regal my buddy had.  Then got the rear window fixed.  I thought it was the motor,  since it didn't work off either switch.  I decided I wanted nothing to do with changing they motor,  so I took it to a shop by my apartment, they actually found it to be the switch.  Easy fix.

I also bought the drop parts, along with new rotors, pads, ball joints. I had originally planned on waiting until about now to start the drop,  but my fool head made me start it in July. 

I lowered my 74 in 1/3rd of the time this one took. Bigger=Heavier.

Now it's lowered,  and I have some finishing touches to do so I can drive it.  I discovered that somewhere along the way the passenger side bedside had been swapped with a non dually bedside. The wheel opening had been cut some,  it cleared the stock height,  not so much with a 6/8 drop. I'll be doing the bedside and the pinion angle tonight hopefully.  I'll also have to roll the fender lips up front so I don't rub.

Up next,  89-91 gmc burb front clip swap, replace the dually fender that got shark bit, and a/c before next summer.  I've got to pull the harness out and clean it up. There's some weird stuff going on there that I need to sort out.  I also need to do the hydro boost unit,  it's starting to leak. 

But now we're up to date on it.  Here's some pics, I'll find some more later, I'm not sure where they all are.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

74 C10 Long bed 350/SM465 Lowered on 20's

Praise the lowered

Offline slammed79

Re: Great White Buffalow- 84 GMC Crew Cab
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2015, 04:37:01 PM »
More.

So now we're pretty caught up.  I'm trying to locate a good front bumper for it,  get the 73-80 bumper off of it. As soon as I track one down, I'll do the burb front clip swap. I have another dually fender for it,  it needs a little bit of work,  I'm trying to decide if I want to attempt it or just leave it to a pro. And I'm gonna get the rear slider taken out and put a solid window in. I may tint these windows since it is my daily,  but who knows.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 04:55:16 PM by slammed79 »

Praise the lowered

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2015, 04:49:50 PM »
welcome to the crew cab club
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline pholliday1

• 1990 V3500 Crew Cab
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2015, 09:00:55 PM »
X2
VETERAN AND LIFETIME NRA MEMBER. WHAT DO YOU STAND FOR?
1991 V3500 CREWCAB SRW 454TBI GMC
1991 v3500 crewcab SRW 454tbi 480le 6" lift
1990 V3500 crewcab Dana 60 FF 14b 5:38 ratio 40 inch 11" lift
1989 v3500 crewcab 454TBI 5" lift

Offline ccdually

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2015, 12:11:21 PM »
How low is your lowering kit? Who did you buy it from? Great Start!!

Offline slammed79

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2015, 01:52:23 PM »
Thanks guys!  It's a 6/8 drop, using McGaughys parts that I got from Switch Suspension here in AZ.

Praise the lowered

Offline slammed79

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2015, 10:18:32 AM »
I got the bedside cut, the pinion angle set,  and the fender lips rolled.  The truck is at the shop getting an alignment now.  It looks like I'm going to have to cut the front fenders to get a little more room for the wheels to travel. 

I don't want to swap the tires to anything smaller, and it definitely needs more room.  I drove the beast to work yesterday,  and I think I may pull the overload springs out of the leaf packs to hopefully get a little more rear end travel as well.

Praise the lowered

Offline yzrider

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2015, 01:21:20 PM »
That looks pretty good! I am considering a 4/6 drop for my cc dually.

Offline slammed79

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2015, 10:05:21 AM »
It didn't get the alignment,  the shop I took it to for the work called me a little while after I dropped it off,  and said it needs tie rod ends and a steering box.  There was some slop in the steering wheel,  but less than am inch,  and that really cleaned up when I did the tie rod ends.  I admit that I should have done them when I dropped it,  and it only took about half an hour to do. 

That shop quoted $750 for the work. Pretty good racket for $250 in parts, less than that if I wait for rock auto. I got the tie rods from O'Reilly.

I'm going to take the thing to an alignment only shop and get it handled there.

Praise the lowered

Offline roundhouse

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2015, 12:28:30 PM »

It didn't get the alignment,  the shop I took it to for the work called me a little while after I dropped it off,  and said it needs tie rod ends and a steering box.  There was some slop in the steering wheel,  but less than am inch,  and that really cleaned up when I did the tie rod ends.  I admit that I should have done them when I dropped it,  and it only took about half an hour to do. 

That shop quoted $750 for the work. Pretty good racket for $250 in parts, less than that if I wait for rock auto. I got the tie rods from O'Reilly.

I'm going to take the thing to an alignment only shop and get it handled there.

i learned the hard way not to buy steering parts from rock auto

Cheap Chinese junk
The drag link we got from RA lasted about a month before it was worn out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline slammed79

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2015, 12:29:42 PM »
That was for AC Delco.  I don't buy off brand parts from them.

Praise the lowered

Offline 87max

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2015, 05:43:53 PM »
I've had no issue with anything from rock auto but again I buy name brand.
88 R30 lb7 transplant in progress
04 E350 6.0 studded & tuned work van
98 Taurus beater

Offline slammed79

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2015, 10:42:00 AM »
So, I ended up doing the tie rods,  that cleaned up the steering a lot. I've decided I'm going to pull the drop springs I have in there. The spot I  bought them from sold me c10 springs, they can't handle the frame and big block weight.  I think if it were a small block I'd be fine.  For the time being I am going to put the stock springs back in.  I already cut a coil off of them.

After a spirited take off last week (nothing crazy, I had my boy in the truck) the rear end wrapped up and knocked the pinion angle out. The ubolts are torqued to 150ft/lbs. So, I need to reset the pinion angle, then take the thing in to get the flip brackets welded up. While I'm under there,  the upper overload spring is getting removed so the pumpkin won't hit the bed when I patch the gooseneck hole.

I also decided to let a pro handle the dually fender,  I should have it back this week.

Praise the lowered

Offline slammed79

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2015, 11:20:12 AM »
I got the pinion angle reset, and I picked up the dually fender yesterday. I'm now going to get the dually fender painted and on, and do the burb grille swap. There's a C10 party coming up next month that this thing is going to be attending,  and she needs to look her best. 

Praise the lowered

Offline slammed79

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2016, 12:03:01 PM »
I got lazy. The truck didn't make the party, and I was out of town that night anyway.  I ended up replacing the steering box with a Delco reman and new pitman arm. Then,  I picked up a set of Moog stock front coils, lopped a coil off and put them in.  I finally pulled the upper overload spring and it's spacer, then put the rear back together.  It came up an inch and some change all the way around and rides much nicer.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Praise the lowered