Author Topic: H pipe on dual exhaust.  (Read 24687 times)

Offline philo_beddoe

• 77 C-10
Re: H pipe on dual exhaust.
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2016, 04:13:26 PM »
I wish i could get it quieter! Dont want the hot rod sound.
Behold, the day of the LORD cometh, and thy spoil shall be divided in the midst of thee.  Zechariah 14:1

Offline IdahoMan

• Registered Users
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2016, 03:12:50 AM »
You may not see a noticeable difference. You may not feel a noticeable difference. But you will hear a noticeable difference........ ;)

In what way?

My muffler is going and I need to work on it. Everybody I talk to says go with a dual system for improvement.

I like how my current setup sounds: The exaust system and the engine all sound like one unit, it's quiet IMO (can't really hear the tailpipe at all until about 2-3ft away). But can I make it more quiet? I wouldn't mind, I want a silent system. People I talk to recommend just going with stock.

I don't know exactly what I have right now. Pics below.

I was told an install job for a dual system would be around $500. I'd like to do everything I can myself if that is possible, but I don't know if that is doable.. I don't know where to start as far as quality parts and pieces go. And I don't have a pipe bender.

BTW, on a side note: Any way to alter the sound of your vehicle via togglable valve? Who's done that?

« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 03:31:45 AM by IdahoMan »

Offline zieg85

• Global Moderator
    • 73-87 GM squarebody extended cab and conversions up to 91 R/V series
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2016, 07:07:38 AM »

[/quote]

[/quote]

Looks like someone put a resonator for the muffler but your catalytic convertor is the GM stock version.  I have run a 3" straight pipe after the stock catalytic converter exiting in the stock position and I really liked the sound
Carl 
1985 C20 Scottsdale 7.4L 4 speed 3.21
1986 C10 under construction
https://www.facebook.com/groups/248658382003506/

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2016, 07:13:21 AM »
Stock single exhaust is what you want to stay with then.

I like how my current setup sounds: The exaust system and the engine all sound like one unit, it's quiet IMO (can't really hear the tailpipe at all until about 2-3ft away). But can I make it more quiet? I wouldn't mind, I want a silent system. People I talk to recommend just going with stock.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline K20Detroit

« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2016, 08:20:36 AM »
You may not see a noticeable difference. You may not feel a noticeable difference. But you will hear a noticeable difference........ ;)

In what way?

My muffler is going and I need to work on it. Everybody I talk to says go with a dual system for improvement.

I was told an install job for a dual system would be around $500. I'd like to do everything I can myself if that is possible, but I don't know if that is doable.. I don't know where to start as far as quality parts and pieces go. And I don't have a pipe bender.

BTW, on a side note: Any way to alter the sound of your vehicle via togglable valve? Who's done that?
It does look like an OEM cat, and an aftermarket resonator.
If that's all there is, it is possible to go quieter.
Installing a new resonator, along with adding an OEM style muffler would make it a decent amount quieter.

Exhaust cut outs are illegal in most areas. A lot of people still do it, but keep in mind that it can cause failed inspections, tickets, etc.

Offline philo_beddoe

• 77 C-10
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2016, 08:35:42 AM »
Stock single exhaust is what you want to stay with then.

In your opinion was mine stock single? Wish mine was quieter. But it is what it is. Not touching it until this system rots out.
Behold, the day of the LORD cometh, and thy spoil shall be divided in the midst of thee.  Zechariah 14:1

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2016, 09:07:34 AM »
Yes, someone put a Midas exhaust system on there. Probably golden Turbo mufflers
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

Offline IdahoMan

• Registered Users
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2016, 11:52:22 AM »
I'm suprised to know I have only a resonator. I din't know they could make a vehicle so quiet all by themselves.

Will adding a muffler, or going muffler only, change the sound style of my truck? I really wish it were possible to upload MP3s to forum, that could be thread itself: Truck sound configurations. People could list their setup along with one or more files standing at certain positions by their vehicle.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 01:58:00 PM by IdahoMan »

Offline philo_beddoe

• 77 C-10
« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2016, 05:10:36 PM »
Since this is a dual exhaust type thread....

Question, what is the advantage or actual reason for dual exhaust? Is it needed on a pure stock configuration, where your just putting around town? I hate the noise and am considering going back to single.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2016, 08:15:02 PM »
Your mufflers are the problem, not having dual pipes. Get better mufflers if you want it quieter
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

Offline philo_beddoe

• 77 C-10
« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2016, 02:28:44 PM »
Can you recommend a nice quiet type or brand?

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2016, 04:53:40 PM »
Why don't you wait until you are ready to redo the exhaust system?
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

Offline philo_beddoe

• 77 C-10
« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2016, 10:28:52 PM »
Anxiety and no patience. You should know me by now...lol

Offline philo_beddoe

• 77 C-10
H pipe on dual exhaust.
« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2016, 08:56:59 PM »
Ok, went to a factory single exhaust system. Installed a nice whisper quiet muffler. Super quiet, cant even hear it running! Love it!

Well, all i can hear is the quiet humm pf the crisp new crate 350.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 08:59:35 PM by philo_beddoe »