Author Topic: should I go with true duals? uncoated headers?  (Read 4900 times)

Offline cbonilla75

should I go with true duals? uncoated headers?
« on: March 21, 2016, 01:18:25 AM »
I'm interested in getting a new exhaust set up, mid length or shorty headers and true duals out the back with flowmasters
my questions before I order everything is:

Should I go with true duals? or should I go with H pipe or X pipe, and why?

Is it a good idea to buy uncoated headers?

thanks! 8)

Offline gunrac

• Frequent Member
Re: should I go with true duals? uncoated headers?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2016, 06:22:10 AM »
This has been covered pretty extensively. Hit the search button an type in  duel exhaust.....a lot of good info
Never Apologize..........as it shows signs of weakness

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 08:19:57 AM by Irish_Alley »
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline gwcrim

• Registered Users
  • Far from a Newbie
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2016, 08:01:33 PM »
Get long tube headers.  Anything else isn't near as good.  I never run them bare.  I had a pair sandblasted and painted them with 3 coats of header paint.  They lasted and looked good for years.  The factory paint burns right off and then they rust.  FUGLY!

Offline Greybeard

• Frequent Member
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2016, 01:16:06 PM »
My opinion is that it depends on what you can afford, what you want it to look like, how long you want it to look that way, and what kind of performance is being routed through them, and what you can afford. Did I mention the what you can afford part?  ;)
Like , you wanna go fast? How much money you got?

I don't know enough about the fancy x and H pipe systems to offer an opinion on them, I know those depend on which RPM range you need to work in. Long tube though, the more bends in a system the more back pressure (to a point). Ever wonder why super high horsepower engines run pipes straight out the exhaust? (ETA- I meant the exhaust PORTS) So no bends have to be in the system.

And one more opinion of mine, in front of the rear wheels, I love exhaust that exits in front of the rear wheels on both sides. I (think it) looks cooler from the back on a cool morning.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 11:53:14 PM by Greybeard »
I am what I am and I ain't no more!

Offline gwcrim

• Registered Users
  • Far from a Newbie
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2016, 07:26:22 PM »
I read a dyno shoot out of manifolds vs block huggers vs long tubes.  Long tubes were far and away the winners.  Block huggers were barely better than manifolds.  Primary tube length is very important.

Offline square81

• Registered Users
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2016, 08:14:07 PM »
I have long tube headers, 2 1/4 duals with cherry bomb turbo muffler. They run all the way back and turn down behind the bumper. Sound good.

Offline warwagon85

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2016, 09:51:55 PM »
I've posted my set up before.  Here is what I have.

Offline Greybeard

• Frequent Member
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2016, 12:02:41 AM »
Yup warwagon85, you really have to get creative when running the pipes around the cross member with headers. I like the pipes to dump out square myself instead of heating the tire up (or appearing like it does) JMPO though. My truck now has header mufflers with a 6" 45* turned down on the outlet. Makes a terrible racket inside the tuck. But it isn't street worthy right now anyway. 
I am what I am and I ain't no more!