Author Topic: Spray bombing a truck  (Read 5116 times)

Offline 1976Scottsdale

Spray bombing a truck
« on: March 19, 2006, 05:57:00 PM »
I just bought a 1977 K-10 longbed.  Came across a flatbed today for $500.00, will get that later.  Anyway, I am thinking that I will probably just spray paint it and do some bondo work to get it looking okay.  I would like to know some brands for paint, primer, and UV clearcoat that are any good.  Also, have had the suggestion made to use bed coating on the whole thing.  Might do it.  This is gonna be a brainstorming truck, all ideas or suggestions will be considered.

Offline Z28 c10

• Registered Users
Re: Spray bombing a truck
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2006, 07:31:00 PM »
Pesonally, I wouldn't use spray bombs, it's almost impossible to keep a wet edge to spray back into. I do have a friend down here in Fl. that used a bed coating on his '75 Dodge Ramcharger though. It looked really cool, and it hides almost all of the imperfections in the body at the same time. Plus, you would have an excuse to not wax.

JayTater

Z28 C10

Edited by: Z28 c10 at: 3/19/06 7:32 pm

Offline shaved80

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2006, 06:47:00 PM »
i know a few guys who have spray bombed and it looks like it was done with a gun...just get it wet, but not enough to run. it takes practice

Offline 1976Scottsdale

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2006, 08:28:00 PM »
Had plenty of that.  Have sprayed all of them to some degree and been doing the same to engines for about six or seven years.  Truck bed coating could be a cool start.

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2006, 11:58:00 PM »
If you use a bed coating use one that has an activatoor as the ones that don't are not UV protected. In other words they will fade and look like crap in a few months.
My personal opinion if you re going to spray bomb don't waste your time clear coating it.
PAI, Parts Asociates Industries has the best spray paint I have ever used. The cans are bigger than most brands and also have more paint in them than anyother brand. meaning they are not all propelant with a little bit of paint.

Edited by: Blazin at: 3/19/06 11:59 pm
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

Offline IUFAN87

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2006, 02:56:00 PM »
You got a link for that PAI spray paint? I did a search and couldn't find anything. THANKS:D  

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2006, 09:07:00 PM »
No it was sold by a guy that came around to the shop I worked at back then. Sorry. Somewhere I have his card with the sales # on it. I know he has passed away since then but the card has the company # on it.

Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

Offline cooltoolguy

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2006, 09:17:00 PM »
here is the web site
www.pai-net.com

ccb

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2006, 09:33:00 PM »
I have know Idea what sprayboming is? Or is there a diffrent term for what this is.

Craig

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2006, 06:52:00 AM »
Rattle can, spray paint! thanks for the link Cool Tool.

Edited by: Blazin at: 3/21/06 11:30 pm

ccb

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2006, 03:36:00 PM »
HAHAHA, Learn something new everyday.

Craig