Author Topic: Rustproofing and undercoating  (Read 2826 times)

Offline My 86

Rustproofing and undercoating
« on: January 25, 2017, 07:39:01 PM »
I am curious as to what any of you use for underbody coatings? Has anyone ever used Dinitrol or Noxudol? These look like they are a good quality coatings. They also make a cavity wax to spray in doors, rockers and cab corners. Maybe some of you are using professional rust protection like Ming or Ziebart? Have any of you every had a 81/87 truck rustproofed when bought it new? What does it look like today.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Re: Rustproofing and undercoating
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2017, 09:03:57 PM »
The rustproofing we applied at the dealers was basically bulk rubberized undercoating that we shot out of a gun. It's certainly better than aerosol cans but doesn't work as good as other heavy duty coatings like bedliner, body shutz etc
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline philo_beddoe

• 77 C-10
Rustproofing and undercoating
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2017, 09:19:36 PM »
My truck was done by Ziebart early in its life, which probably saved it. I just removed the bed for the first time since the GM factory installed it. No rust at all was revealed. I was quite impressed and surprised. I will be wire brushing a little and giving it a coating of fluid film (i have a free gallon). But regardless, i do spend a lot of time under there with a flashlight and spray often with PB Blaster Lubricant (not penatrant) which i get by the gal. and apply right from a heavy duty spray bottle. Low cost and works well.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 09:23:40 PM by philo_beddoe »
Behold, the day of the LORD cometh, and thy spoil shall be divided in the midst of thee.  Zechariah 14:1

Offline gwcrim

• Registered Users
  • Far from a Newbie
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2017, 08:22:36 AM »
My Dad had ours under coated shortly after he bought it. The stuff had a "Lifetime guaranty". After about 15 years, the truck was rusting above the rear window, at the cab corners, and the right front fender.   He called the company who did the work. Their policy was to merely refund his money.  He was hoping to have them pay for the repairs.

So the guaranty was toothless and the pretty red truck has gooey tar squirted all over it. I'm not a believer.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2017, 01:56:43 PM »
No doubt it's an add on scam. That's why good ole Rusty Jones bit the big one. To properly apply the undercoating you had to be meticulous which very few tech's ever were. It all comes down to how it was cared for over the years, thoroughly washed, garaged etc.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10