Author Topic: Hello all.  (Read 35372 times)

Offline Mr Diesel

• Frequent Member
  • Aaron
Re: Hello all.
« Reply #210 on: May 25, 2023, 10:29:19 AM »
[quote author=jeremy.farlow
In less-than-fortunate news, I made the call to TCI tech support that I've been putting off. I didn't read the fine print real good. They're *fairly* clear that the brainbox of the trans controller can be damaged if the unit isn't disconnected when using a battery charger... a fact I definitely did not pay proper attention to. It took a couple calls to isolate the issue being internal to the unit, but once I had "played the high notes" two different support techs immediately came to the same conclusion: "you had the car on a battery charger??" Yes. Yes I did. A number of times. Quite frankly the truck SAT on a charger at my old shop.
[/quote]

This right here is why I avoid adding electronics to these old vehicles, ESPECIALLY aftermarket stuff. What electronic engineer designs stuff so fragile that a common battery charger will damage it? Heck, how long will it survive the alternator charging it every time you drive it? They slap together some crap and hope it quits working after the very short warranty expires.
1976 C20 Crewcab, 6.2L/SM465
1982 K30 Crewcab , 427TD/TH400
1983 C30, 6.2L/TH400
1983 K30 Crewcab 454/700R4
1986 K10 350/400. 1989 K30 cab/chassis 454/SM465

Offline jeremy.farlow

• Frequent Member
Hello all.
« Reply #211 on: May 25, 2023, 09:31:31 PM »
I been weighing that for better than three years.

I don't see any way around it.

I'm the rare one in this bunch that got a 4L80e installed as factory equipment.

I should pay to "upgrade" it to a 700R4??

I should pay to completely replace the already computer controlled engine that came factory equipped with something less computer controlled?!

The ship has long sailed, but I probably could've done an Edelbrock or Holley carb on an intake.

Awesome.

Something that runs *okay* most of the time.

Something you can tune to run *better* even less of the time.

Judging from your handle, you'd advocate a compression-combustion power plant.

I doubt you would advocate that hard for the Detroit a minuscule number of these trucks came with. Hot garbage. On par with an IDI Ford.

So put a Cummins in it...

Cool. 12v with sequential turbos and a big intercooler gets me power output similar to what I get on gas. At around the same price... the price before I spent a bunch of money on a computer controlled gasoline engine. And then it's still all in an architecture I am far less comfortable with. Why is it exactly that diesel pistons look like high-efficiency toilet bowls??

Surely any number of people will sell me a Cummins-to-Chevrolet adapter plate... standard Chevy bellhousing pattern... the one that was on ALL of them.

So that Cummins that costs about the same as what I currently have can run through the same nonfunctional 4L80e I currently have??

Doesn't matter how bitchin the 12v Cummins I put in front of it is. The absolute BEST transmission option that was fit in SOME of these trucks is the same transmission sitting in my truck... the one that requires a computer of some sort to function.

The standalone controller will come back to me soon enough. The problem appears to be one of my own creation.

Mental note: disconnect the battery before jumpstarting.

I'll still have an objectively good transmission, with overdrive and a lockup torque converter. Capable of handling the power output of the gas engine that I built. Or that of all but the hottest diesel you stick in front of it.

I've driven some hot-rod diesels.

After the valve clatter and injector ping settles in to a cacophony a diesel will start turning noise into forward progress. But even the hottest diesel I've ever driven doesn't exactly have what I call: "throttle response".

I've already litigated, in this thread, the many reasons i chose a computer controlled gasoline engine. With a computer controlled transmission.

I didn't expect the electronics to be "easy".

I definitely expected them to be a bit more robust, but I didn't follow the clearly printed instructions.

I've come far too far to turn back.

Offline jeremy.farlow

• Frequent Member
« Reply #212 on: May 25, 2023, 09:53:35 PM »
I spent the day waiting on the new amplifier and playing with this piece:

The amplifier came in, so of course I had to stop everything:

The blue light means it's working... real good.

REAL LOUD!!

There are a couple loose ends to chase in here:

I know there are a few bulbs missing, I want verified full function of all the dash wiring before I put the ductwork back in. And then:

Once I know everything works I will cut the plastic on this new dash cover and install it.

File the next part under: "you cannot make this stuff up".

As I'm finishing up the wiring on my new amplifier I notice heavy activity across the parking lot from my shop:

I can't have nuthin.

Here I am just trying to bask in the warming glow that comes with a successful mobile audio project getting completed...

And here these guys come with this:

Yes friends... it appears my neighbors are breaking out the worlds most insane ever mobile audio rig. It takes a 20kw generator and tractor trailer.

And now my little car audio project seems a lot littler.

Whatever man... I can't see their touchscreen. I bet they don't even have navigation.

Whatever man.

Online Shifty

• I bleed Bowtie red...
« Reply #213 on: May 26, 2023, 09:38:55 AM »
Stick with the 4L80e, good, strong transmission....today's stand-alone controllers are decent.  Hard to believe that a battery maintainer took yours out though... :-\
87 V20 Standard Cab Longbed (current)

87 R30 3+3 Longbed (days of yore)

98 C2500 ext cab longbed

Offline jeremy.farlow

• Frequent Member
« Reply #214 on: May 27, 2023, 01:17:43 PM »
Not a battery maintainer... I'm sure I hit the system at least once with a fairly potent jumpstarter.

Agreed, it doesn't seem super reasonable to NOT be able to jumpstart or rapid-charge the vehicle with the TCU energized, but that's the world I will be living in.

As far as the 4L80e, yeah, it's a bulletproof, well-documented transmission with a lot of potential. It's a transmission people put in other stuff!! I toyed with the idea of a straight-shift... as I do like to "row my own". While surely a Jericho or Muncie four-speed would work and be fairly appropriate behind the engine, the Tremec I picked up early on didn't really didn't make sense. It has been sold on. The most sensible manual transmission option would the NV4500. They're out there, but with buying the trans, bellhousing, clutch and accoutrement, pedal assembly, driveshaft... plus whatever nickel and dime stuff comes up...

I'll be solidly in the realm of an upgraded rebuilt 4L80e.

And the NV4500, with its granny low gear, would effectively be a four-speed, so not much upgrade from an automatic with a lockup torque converter.

The manual gearbox would likely have *SLIGHTLY* less in the way of parasitic losses. It's been fifteen years since I last regularly drove a vehicle with an automatic transmission. I'm sure I can remember how to. And I think an automatic fits with the daily cruised I've tried to build. A nice big motor that makes low-rpm power, pushing through an automatic trans and then finally out 3:73 rear end gears. I'm hoping I can cruise at 80-85 without a massive penalty to my fuel economy.

My other truck, an OBS F250 with 460, 5-speed and 4:11's gets to 70 real quick and will hold 70 up a vertical face... but anything above that comes with a steep increase in fuel usage. At 85 the speedometer needle and gas gauge needle synchronize in the opposite directions.

Thankfully whatever the speaker setup that was being built across the parking lot a couple days ago is NOT blasting music at me today at the shop. No idea where the truck and trailer went.

I'm trying to finish out the last stuff until the trans controller comes back and I can take a drive. I learned my lesson about buttoning up stuff before it's ready.

What I believe will be the last bit of interior fabrication is almost done and I'm quite happy with it:

Looks *almost* factory to me.

I'm not sure exactly how I'm gonna mount it yet.

In any event it'll make a good spot for sunglasses and gate remotes/garage door openers, etc.

Be Safe

Jeremy

Offline 1980K20

• Frequent Member
Hello all.
« Reply #215 on: May 28, 2023, 01:02:22 AM »
Fwiw

GWP is Global Warming Potential.  The number is a measure of equivalent pounds of carbon for one pound of carbon off the chemical.  Highly stable chemicals stick around in the atmosphere for a long time and tend to have very high numbers.  The chemists at my last job taught me a lot about this.

R12 has GWP rating of 10,900.  The 56 ounces is equivalent to 58,900 pounds of carbon.

R1234a GWP is 1430.  56 ounces is 5,000 pounds.

R1234yf GWP is 4, 56 ounces is 14 pounds.  Too bad it’s flammable, which will release carbon in an accident, perhaps yours too.

A gallon of gasoline is about 4 pounds of carbon (according to a web search, fwiw also).  I was thinking our old trucks would be much worse.  At 12 mpg, that’s 3 miles per pound of carbon.  A bunch more carbon to manufacture.  That’s just under 20,000 miles to match the refrigerant.

It’s more carbon to replace the beasts than to keep them running.  Let’s keep ‘‘em on the road!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 28, 2023, 08:32:38 AM by 1980K20 »
--------------------------------------
1952 International L112 - waiting for EV conversion
1967 Camaro - 250 six cyl, 200-4R
1980 K20 4x4 Fleetside - 350 SBC roller Cam, TH350

Offline JohnnyPopper

• Old Goof
« Reply #216 on: May 28, 2023, 01:55:34 PM »
That's fascinating science!

I was watching a hearing the other day with experts dealing with climate change.

They were asked by a committee member if they knew what percentage of CO2 make up our atmosphere.

Surprisingly they had to guess, and did so between 5 and 8%. A comment was made by one that emissions cause an increase of up to 49% and that was why they were assembled.

The member revealed that the actual number is .04%. He said that average is .03, and that when the level drops to .02, plant life suffers.

"We breath out 4%, and breath in .04%. WOW! Think about that for a few moments... :o
1957 Apache 3100 235 Inline 6, 3 on the tree
1973 C-20, 3+3 454 4BBL TH400  Water Injection
1978 K-10, 350 4BBL TH350 NP203 M.M. Part time Kit/Hubs
1980 C-10 under construction

Offline jeremy.farlow

• Frequent Member
« Reply #217 on: May 29, 2023, 03:20:59 PM »
Happy Memorial Day all. I spent most of my weekend under the wrong truck... the missus came to the shop with her flatbed dually and we swapped the slap wore-out E4OD with a built, stage-one item from Shift-Rite Transmissions in Illinois. We also swapped a broken and leaking steering box for a remanufactured one. Boy does being in all the nooks and crannies of a 25-year old Ford diesel make one appreciate the general even more.

The Ford engineers want to be sure you have a complete socket and wrench index... sometimes all on the same part!!! Meanwhile I'm pretty sure that a 7/16", 9/16" and 3/4" wrench and socket can disassemble 90% of the suburban.

Still, things ought to be good in my life... the missus went home to take a badly deserved shower and I'll follow her in the flatbed shortly for the same. She was grinning ear to ear after the steering box test drive and emphatic that I drove her truck to see how much better it was now. No matter what it'll still be a Ford... but happy (not yet) wife, happy life as they say.

Be Safe

Jeremy

Offline JohnnyPopper

• Old Goof
« Reply #218 on: May 29, 2023, 07:18:09 PM »
It's a blessed man that has a soon to be wife that wrenches with him. Take it to the Bank!!!

I taught my daughters to change their own oil and brakes. The oldest helped me change out an intake manifold gasket on her first Volvo 240GL.

My youngest was doing her breaks and was complaining that she couldn't break the lugs free. I said:" Imagine you're in the desert, it's getting dark and starting to rain"

SNAP!
1957 Apache 3100 235 Inline 6, 3 on the tree
1973 C-20, 3+3 454 4BBL TH400  Water Injection
1978 K-10, 350 4BBL TH350 NP203 M.M. Part time Kit/Hubs
1980 C-10 under construction

Online Shifty

• I bleed Bowtie red...
« Reply #219 on: May 30, 2023, 09:34:52 AM »
Jeremy, what about a manual-valve body 4l80e, without the "e"? 

98 C2500 ext cab longbed

Offline jeremy.farlow

• Frequent Member
« Reply #220 on: May 30, 2023, 11:03:38 AM »
I'm not opposed to a fully manual automatic, right now I just want something that works. We will see what happens when TCI contacts me about the controller. At the moment I have at least a weeks worth of paying studio work, so I'm gonna concentrate on doing my best there and hopefully turning it into a couple of weeks. This weeks will buy tires and pay whatever the repair cost of the trans controller is. Another week should pay for the last of the suburban stuff and then one more week will put gas in it... for a week or so.

Be Safe

Jeremy

Online Shifty

• I bleed Bowtie red...
« Reply #221 on: May 30, 2023, 01:52:45 PM »
Won't need a controller as a MVB, just sayin'..... ;)

98 C2500 ext cab longbed

Offline jeremy.farlow

• Frequent Member
« Reply #222 on: May 30, 2023, 02:07:12 PM »
Manual valve body and a shifter more readily accessed than on the column... is another problem I see. I just ate up the best real estate for a ratchet shifter on the trans hump with my double-DIN stereo. It ain't a bad idea, but I really wanna actualize the money I've already spent before spending more. I'll DEFINITELY keep that idea in mind WHEN/if I blow up the existing transmission.

Be Safe

Jeremy

Online Shifty

• I bleed Bowtie red...
« Reply #223 on: May 30, 2023, 02:12:24 PM »
True....I'd forgot about that.  When the trans in my 1998 was being rebuilt, I looked long and hard at doing the MVB, but the wife got ahold of my wallet, and gave it a squeeze.  I guess I should be happy that it works well. 

98 C2500 ext cab longbed

Offline jeremy.farlow

• Frequent Member
« Reply #224 on: May 31, 2023, 03:07:19 PM »
Honestly, right now, because of the WGA and their strike, my best hope is I can keep the tired old stock 4L80e going along until some point... in the future.

Once the existing transmission is no longer capable of doing its job, THEN, I will consider different options.

The two options *MOST* appealing to me are a bulletproof 4L80e, as my existing controller should be working as advertised by then. OR!!! a 6L90... as Holley now offers a standalone controller for that transmission. The 6L90 is rated for 1000HP!!!!! from the factory and it is my understanding that the two additional gears effectively split the 4L80e's first gear and then add another overdrive ratio. They're supposed to be quite a good transmission with 3.55 final drive gears, so I imagine even better with 3.73's.

The case of the 6L90 is slightly wider. There's no definitive swap guide for it yet, but everything I've read indicates I can be into a new(ish) transmission, with billet converter and standalone controller for about the same money as a built 4L80. Decisions, decisions.

Be Safe

Jeremy