Author Topic: Heat shields...  (Read 2186 times)

Offline philo_beddoe

• 77 C-10
Heat shields...
« on: August 24, 2020, 01:24:23 PM »
Not regarding my 77, but in general, are heat shields really necessary, they always end up rusting and rattling! Dangerous to remove?
Behold, the day of the LORD cometh, and thy spoil shall be divided in the midst of thee.  Zechariah 14:1

Online bd

• Global Moderator
Re: Heat shields...
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2020, 02:19:06 PM »
IMHO, OEMs don't install anything "extra" that doesn't decrease their warranty expense.  The purpose of shields is to control heat that otherwise will soak into and damage wiring, spark plug wires, hoses, floor treatments, oxidize fluids, etc, and to decrease liability resulting from fires.  In other words, each situation demands independent evaluation with the acceptance of responsibility for any adverse consequences that result from shield elimination.  Consequently, there is no valid "general answer."
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline philo_beddoe

• 77 C-10
Heat shields...
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2020, 03:37:07 PM »
Ok, fair enough. I’ll replace the darn thing. But, why not just make them out of thick aluminum or galvanized steel and add an extra $25 to the sticker price? Thanks bd
Behold, the day of the LORD cometh, and thy spoil shall be divided in the midst of thee.  Zechariah 14:1

Offline JohnnyPopper

• Old Goof
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2020, 10:14:23 PM »
I agree with bd, just suck it up and do what you can to eliminate the rattle... :(
1957 Apache 3100 235 Inline 6, 3 on the tree
1973 C-20, 3+3 454 4BBL TH400  Water Injection
1978 K-10, 350 4BBL TH350 NP203 M.M. Part time Kit/Hubs
1980 C-10 under construction

Offline Stewart G Griffin

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2020, 06:46:13 PM »
Yes, i think they are necessary.   i threw away my 4.3 shields, emission control junk and other "junk" thinking i would never need it.

Well, i had a problem re-starting after driving a few mins---after getting gas or food etc.   i found out that the downpipe on a stock 4.3 exhaust manifold is DIRECTLY next to the starter.

Installed a flexible velcro-type heat shield  (from Taylor, and i recommend Taylor products) and problem solved.    If you're concerned about squeeks and rattles then you may want to try one of these flexible wrap-type shields:

http://www.taylorvertex.com/product-search/?id=370805

It's and easy install, but one disadvantage is if oil gets on it then it's a big mess and there's really no way i know of to clean it.   So, i've actually had to get a new one.   i had a leak around where the dipstick goes into the engine----and, of course, it's on the same side as the starter...... :-\
« Last Edit: September 01, 2020, 07:32:02 AM by Stewart G Griffin »