Author Topic: Power Window issue  (Read 3705 times)

Offline gtojohnny

Power Window issue
« on: February 23, 2021, 10:15:56 PM »
Here's my problem. I hope someone can help. I have two power doors from a donor truck. They are complete with wiring harness and the windows are in the up position. I need to lower the windows to sand and paint. Does anyone know how i can provide power and jump some wires to lower the windows? The wiring has me puzzled. Thanks in advance.

Online bd

• Global Moderator
Re: Power Window issue
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2021, 11:05:21 PM »
From what year donor truck are the doors?  Refer to the 1982-1987 Power Window Diagrams thread in the Technical Pages.  The 1982-1987 power windows lower and raise by reversing the polarity of 12-volt power supplied to the motors.  Be very careful if supplying power directly to the motors with jumpers.  The motors are high torque.  Razor-sharp edges on the mechanism can pinch and slice your hand or cut off a finger faster than you may be able to react.

1977-1981 power window motors are wired differently.  The motors ground to the door shell.  The motor ground may be augmented by a black wire that attaches to the motor frame.  Lowering or raising of the windows depends on which motor terminal receives 12-volt power; powering one terminal lowers the glass, powering the other terminal raises the glass.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline gtojohnny

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2021, 01:16:55 AM »
The doors are from an 84.  Remomber, the door is not on the truck. The wiring diagram does not help. I need to know exactly where to supply the 12 volt power and ground. Can I supply it at the harness that sticks out of the boot on the door frame? I know the pink wire is power, but where is the ground?

Online bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2021, 09:34:08 AM »
If you have experience reading wiring diagrams a schematic absolutely helps!

Using 12-gauge jumper wires with at least one jumper protected by a 30-amp auto reset circuit breaker:  A) for the driver door connect 12-volt power to the pink wire and ground the black wire that, together, protrude from the door, then lower or raise the window using the left door window switch, B) for the passenger door connect 12-volt power to the pink wire and ground both the tan and dark blue/white stripe wires that protrude from the door, then lower or raise the window using the right door window switch.  If the window motors indeed function, this should get them moving for your immediate purpose.

Rich
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2021, 05:58:37 PM »
The wiring diagram does not help

The wiring diagram is the only thing that can help you with the exception of bd reading it to you, which he did perfectly btw. Buy that man a beer and learn to read schematics, you have a perfect opportunity to apply yourself here.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline gtojohnny

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2021, 07:34:05 PM »
Thanks for the great explanation. Much appreciated. I will admit, I don't have a lot of experience with wiring diagrams. However, I did not see the pigtail that protrudes from the boot on the diagram. Also, would have never picked up on the tan and blue/white as ground. I didn't want to make a mistake and fry something. Now, if i could just find a 30 amp auto reset breaker you speak of, I am in business.

Online bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2021, 08:45:52 PM »
Procure something like this: 30-Amp (Type 1) Auto-Reset Circuit Breaker.
Rich

Offline gtojohnny

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2021, 11:38:47 PM »
Thanks a bunch! Worked like a charm!

Online bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2021, 12:57:42 PM »
Happy to help.
Rich