Author Topic: Help with heater box parts  (Read 1465 times)

Offline Customdeluxe81

Help with heater box parts
« on: July 24, 2021, 06:45:44 PM »
Hi, I’m working with a 1981 C10 no AC. I need a replacement non AC box both in the engine compartment AND under the dash  Because I found the mice had made a home in the heater box, both under the hood and under the dash. And they made a mess of EVERYTHING, the doors /flappers are very rusty and won’t move from the heat control, so I removed the box In the engine compartment. Everything is a mess I’m afraid no amount of cleaning will get rid of the smell. So I just want to replace both. Any ideas on where I can find replacements?
Thanks
« Last Edit: July 25, 2021, 12:36:18 AM by bd »

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Re: Help with heater box parts
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2021, 05:41:08 AM »
From a donor but any used one will need to be cleaned up too. Clean it with bleach and the smell will be gone.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline Customdeluxe81

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2021, 07:36:21 AM »
Yes from a doaner, and bleach might work but the doors that control the air flow are severely rusted and won’t really move from the heater control. And the box in the engine compartment is almost rusted through.... I had an old camper that the mice had gotten into the insulation around the oven and it only smelled like mouse pee when you ran the oven. I’m afraid of a similar situation with this.... I’ll only smell it when I run the heat. All things considered I’d like replacement
Thanks

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2021, 11:00:49 AM »
So if you get one from a donor, it will also need to be cleaned and disinfected. The air distribution plenums are rodent homes and have no way to prevent their entry other than keeping them garaged which also isn't fool proof. You could also do something like Vintage Air or try this guy and see if he has one reconditioned. http://thepartguy.com/heaterboxCHEVY_GMC_TRUCK.htm
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline Customdeluxe81

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2021, 10:25:20 AM »
Thanks vile, I contacted the parts guy that you suggested and he’s looking for one in he mean time I need to take the housing with the heater core out so he can see what I have. As for all housing being mouse infested I guess that depends on where and how the truck is stored and is there anything, like a food source, that will draw mice to that location. My dads truck was stored in a barn for 12years not moving. Not ideal.