Author Topic: Idiot light question  (Read 1156 times)

Offline alopez2045@yahoo.com

Idiot light question
« on: November 03, 2021, 03:49:53 PM »
Any grey beards help me out with some knowledge. My 84 c20 3+3 only has idiot lights, I’m not sure but after 5 minutes of driving me temp light has a dim glow. I thought for sure I was over heating but when I toggle the ignition from the of position hot or cold the light really turns on bright.

I any information helps. I’m going to pick up some gauges from autozone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
Re: Idiot light question
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2021, 04:31:39 PM »
Inspect the green wire that connects to the engine temperature switch and make sure that it isn't chafed or burned through and grounding against bare metal or the exhaust.  If the wire is okay, unplug it from the temperature switch and drive the truck normally to determine whether the warning lamp continues to glow dimly.  It is possible that someone substituted a gauge sender for the idiot light switch by mistake.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline alopez2045@yahoo.com

Re: Idiot light question
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2021, 05:28:15 PM »
Inspect the green wire that connects to the engine temperature switch and make sure that it isn't chafed or burned through and grounding against bare metal or the exhaust.  If the wire is okay, unplug it from the temperature switch and drive the truck normally to determine whether the warning lamp continues to glow dimly.  It is possible that someone substituted a gauge sender for the idiot light switch by mistake.
Ok awesome thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk